AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FTP again...  (Read 33140 times)

dwilder

FTP again...
« on: September 10, 2008, 06:16:10 AM »
Hi!

I'm a new RB user who is also having trouble with the FTP function in RB2009.

Like previous users, i'm trying to upload my screen shot to a directory on a remote website.
Unfortunately, after the first Radarboxscreenshot.gif has been uploaded, all further files are marked with the date/time and given a .tmp extension.

The original radarboxscreenshot.gif is never updated.

I don't have the option of changing FTP servers (as I don't host it) and am wondering if there is any form of work around?

Regards

Dan

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: FTP again...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 07:48:57 AM »
The issue is that your webserver does not not allow overwiting of files.

Contact your webhost and see whether it can be enabled.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

GlynH

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 07:50:19 AM »
Hi Dan,

Speaking from experience I would guess the issue lies with the remote ftp server.

That's not to say AirNav couldn't program in a 'fix' at some time to circumvent issues such as this - I am not sure exactly what command/syntax they use but I would guess the standard 'put' command is utilised - maybe there is an alternative command that could be used?

Is it hosted by your ISP?

Do you have the option to contact them, explain the situation and ask for a work-round?

It could just be a permission change or something that is needed.

If you saw my previous post(s) on the same subject you will see I had exactly the same problem although I was hosting mine locally.

Changing from the Microsoft IIS FTP Service cured the issue for me.

It is worth perservering with though;

http://www.glyn.me/radarbox

I've moved the map over Heathrow for the moment for a friend of mine to keep an eye on although I am based @80 miles away from there - what you see is what I 'see' live on my RadarBox...

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:39:02 AM by GlynH »

dwilder

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:39:32 AM »
I have made a work around for the problem which isn't particularly satisfactory, but works.

I am now ftping the screen shot to my local network storage (using RB2009) and then using another FTP program to upload to my website!

I have spoken to my hosting company, GoDaddy.com, and they say that the problem lies with the software and not them! I kind of agree because I haven't had this problem before when uploading .gif files on a regular basis - I run a weather station that updates every few seconds.

Is there anyway of extracting the radarboxscreenshot.gif from my local hard drive (ie the PC that RB is running on)? This would cut out the middle process and make the whole thing much more acceptable!

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Dan

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 08:48:12 AM »
Is there anyway of extracting the radarboxscreenshot.gif from my local hard drive (ie the PC that RB is running on)?

I think you'll find it at ...........\AirNav RadarBox 2009\Screen Shots\RadarBoxScreenShot.gif

I managed to get it working finally by creating a new folder on my providers FTP service, and FTP'ing to that folder.  The default folder provided by my provider did not allow overwriting of files.

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/radarbox.htm
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/radarbox/RadarBoxScreenShot.gif
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:32:22 AM by tarbat »

dwilder

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:54:52 AM »
Which is interesting as I don't have that directory :-( !

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »
Sorry, the full path is probably C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2009\Screen Shots

If you used the standard installation path.

dwilder

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:47 AM »
Oh dear. For some reason I don't have that directory...

Any suggestion?

Dan

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »
Are you running Vista?  If so, it will be in the Virtual Store - C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2009\Screen Shots - where xxxxxxxx is you Windows account name.

dwilder

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 11:03:40 AM »
Thanks Tarbat.

Found it!

Unfortunately, it appears that unless you have an active (and correct) FTP connection, the screen shot isn't updated anyway. Hence back to plan A of uploading to a NAS and then FTPing...

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
Thanks Tarbat.

Found it!

Unfortunately, it appears that unless you have an active (and correct) FTP connection, the screen shot isn't updated anyway. Hence back to plan A of uploading to a NAS and then FTPing...

The screen shot on your web page won't update by itself, even if the picture is being uploaded correctly.  You either have to manually refresh the page that the screen shot is displayed on, or you have to put code in the web page html to refresh the page automatically.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 11:33:18 AM »
Unfortunately, it appears that unless you have an active (and correct) FTP connection, the screen shot isn't updated anyway.

Yes, I've just discovered that myself.  And I'm now having problems myself with getting access to the web page for my FTP.  Seems that my provider doesn't like files being updated every minute :(

Can anyone suggest a free web hosting service that works with ANRB FTP uploading.

dwilder

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »
What I mean is that the screen shot on my local hard drive isn't updated if the FTP connection isn't active.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
Yes, I've just discovered that myself.  And I'm now having problems myself with getting access to the web page for my FTP.  Seems that my provider doesn't like files being updated every minute :(

Can anyone suggest a free web hosting service that works with ANRB FTP uploading.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm still struggling to get ftp working on my ISP's web hosting service at geocities.com.  It gets the first screenshot upload okay, but subsequent uploads don't always work, and then I get constant "508 Unused" error messages on the page - http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/anrb/RadarBoxScreenShot.gif

So, can anyone recommend a web hosting service that works with Radarbox ftp uploads?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:08:29 PM by tarbat »

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »
tarbat,

I use Demon Web hosting and that works fine.

This is really where the picture is being uploaded to is it?

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/anrb/RadarBoxScreenShot.gif

Can you post a screenshot/link of the successfully uploaded picture, is it exactly the same link as above?

Can you browse the directory on the server by using an FTP program?  This might give you a better idea of what id going on.