anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Network Question  (Read 11240 times)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: HOW FAIR IS THIS?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »
The statistics would seem to suggest otherwise though Tarbat. Units uploading currently tends to peak around the 150 mark which is significantly below the total number of units out there. Even accepting the fact that not all units are on 24/7 it would still suggest there a reasonable number of units running which aren't uploading.

Not quite, we have stats which show that while there is about 60 units which we can describe as on all the time the others are vary a lot. We can easily view the unique units connected per day is 250-300 per day. Thats almost a 1/3 of the boxes sold.

We know from logins anyway that actually those not uploading is very rare. Really why would you as its does not affect speed or your net connection its only out of intent not to share.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:01:22 PM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

testmonkey

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »
I stand corrected then :)

Sorry Tarbat, you're probably right - a majority of users probably are uploading when their box is on!
testmonkey
--------------------------------------------
RB - MVT9000 - UBC30XLT (for acars)

Tallyho

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 12:43:53 AM »
Interesting thread and echoed some of my sentiments when I first looked at ANRB and thought wow AIRNAV have a fantastic business model of having their cake and eating it.
Of course there are those amongst us who also upload our data to the PLANEPLOTTER network by running PLANEPLOTTER side by side with ANRB (or SBS-1). Planeplotters strength is not only it's low cost but more that it openly shares all it's network data and lmore importantly it enable you to capture it unlike AIRNAV who only let you capture your local data from their software. I think of Planeplotter as a kind of open source version of ANRB with free access to all the data available (network and local).
Personally I will probably not subscribe to the AIRNAV network when the free service ends but I will continue to upload to both the AIRNAV and PLANEPLOTTER networks to benefit both systems and their users but I will continue to use the free PLANEPLOTTER network data for my own use as I do currently.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 06:46:20 AM »
Personally I will probably not subscribe to the AIRNAV network when the free service ends but I will continue to upload to both the AIRNAV and PLANEPLOTTER networks to benefit both systems and their users but I will continue to use the free PLANEPLOTTER network data for my own use as I do currently.

I'm in the same position, in that I'll probably only use the Planeplotter network when the Airnav network subscription starts, but I'll continue to upload to the Airnav network.  A couple of reasons:

1. The PP network is free.

2. The PP network only downloads aircraft that are within range of my current map view, whereas the Airnav network downloads everything.  That eats into my bandwidth allowance too much.

3. Most of the network aircraft in PP aren't 5-minute delayed.

Ironic really, given that one reason I switched from the SBS-1 to Radarbox was the lack of MapModeS on the SBS-1!!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:59:37 AM by tarbat »

Deadcalm

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 10:47:35 AM »
This network thing always intrigues me.  One question I have is, assuming you live in an area where there several RadarBoxes covering roughly the same ground, and each user has his network traffic delayed by five minutes, from which other user does he get his networked map display traffic from?  There may be users who are receiving signals from the same traffic at varying altitudes - who gets priority?

Probably not making myself very clear, here,  but if several users are all receiving the same live traffic at different levels in flight, what criteria decides which data is passed to everyone else as networked traffic?

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 12:00:04 PM »
The data once you pickup the aircraft is then sent to our server. However not all the data is sent as its a bit of extra overhead. So for instance each aircraft could be polled in 5 seconds for new data which is then sent to the network server.

Everybody's polling would be different dependant on when the aircraft was picked. Therefore the network server simply receives and uses the last data with a timestamp. So nobody gets priority it simply the last data received. Hope that makes sense.

Plane plotter does have one time fee cost but importantly as I am sure the users of plane plotter are aware is that there is no assurance it will be here tomorrow and the affect of any security clampdowns by authorities.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

PEPITO

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »
I can get hold of the winter program for almost all the Spanish airlines with flight numbers and destinations how can we feed that into the datadases so we know origin and destination?

Tallyho

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
Planeplotter does have a one time fee cost your are quite correct... 25 Euros, excellent value for money and hardly a big investment or risk by anyones standards.
Keep up your good work :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:32:39 AM by Tallyho »

Paulc

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
When away from home ie no internet connection i usually turn off the share data as it does improve performance.

Having said that the data the network provides is of little/no use to me as i only use radarbox for aircraft i am likley to see wherever that might be. The unit has been to the USA and Amsterdam with me and will be in Dubai (6 hour stopover) South Africa (1 week) in a couple of weeks time so may keep it on for those 2 locations