anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using antenna  (Read 8886 times)

John Racars

Using antenna
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »
Hi All,

Is there any advice of using an outside antenna other then the one which was delivered with the RadarBox? I am using an outside antenna for the reception of ACARS and I have the idea the area of reception ACARS is much greather then the reception of the "radarbox-signals" by using the delivered antenna and posisioned in my ceilingroom near my installation.

If so, how to connect a coax on the radarbox?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

daniales

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Using antenna
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »
Hi John,

How are you?

I am using an external antenna with Wimo's amplifier and the system is reaching around 250 nm as same ACARS distance. The diference can occurs if there is anything in front of Radarbox antenna.

Best Regards,
Dani Glikmanas

Sao Paulo - Brazil

John Racars

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 03:05:26 PM »
Hi Dani,

I am fine, thank you! How are you?

Thank you for your reaction! After this I visited the Wimo-site immediately and I know what I have to do when I want a bigger area of reception. That means for my situation to place an antenna on the chimney near my ACARS-antenna.....
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

flightchecker

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »
Hi John.
the WIMO GP1090 is an excellent choice to perform with your RadarBox. If you are able to install it "as high as possible" and with a "free view" you can be shure, to get an optimum considering your local situation. In case, the antenna sits more than about ten meters away from its receiver, you would need to compensate for "cable losses" by means of a "mast head amplifier". WIMO has them on stock, as well as they do have "ECOFLEX 10 coaxial cable", a low loss coax, that I highly would recommend, and that even can be suited by WIMO to your demands, concerning lenghts and connectors, if you're not familiar with soldering, exspecially not in the above situation.

Kind regards from a "german neighbour"

Karl

John Racars

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:35:13 PM »
Guten Abend Nachbar Karl,

Vielen dank für Ihre Reaktion!

This is information where I was waiting for. Thanks to Dani and you I have an idea what to do to get for getting out from this beautiful AirNav system!

ACARS brought me verry much pleasure until sofar and I get messages from around EDDK, EDDL, also the whole West of Germany noth of EDDF, Belgium and North East and further of the Netherlands, also a big area around my position.

Radarbox reception with the becoming antenna gives substantial less of reception is my impression. By exemple: it stops BEFORE the Dutch / German border, heading North it stops at the "Afsluitdijk", incoming flights pick-uped at Lelystad, so it is a verry small area of reception in comparison with ACARS.

Now I am looking out for a friend who is willing to go on the roof....................

13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

flightchecker

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »
Choeje Morchen (?)  John,

"wait and see": an external antenna, situated high!!! and its signals beeing transfered by a low loss cable!!! will improve your "seeing conditions" may be even more than you expect.
"Nether"-lands, by its "name", are optimized for signals travelling according to their "line of sight" behavior, which proves for the 1090 MHz transponder's frequency.
I myself am located close to Colognes "EDDK", and WIMOS GP1090  allows me to track the atlantic traffic departing out of EDDF until it reaches the sea, after having passed your country between about Rotterdam and Amsterdam, ideally via the SPY VOR, which gives me the best range. My eastern directions are shaded by hills, southwest beeing the best in terms of wave propagation, almost seeing aircraft in the vicinity of Paris, more than about 200 NM away. If you want, I can send you a screenhot. (I am going to release my e-mail adress in the meantime, so you may contact me)  Unfortunatly the “shots” originate from BaseStation rather than RadarBox, (awfull sorry for that, AirNav) but finally, it’s "almost the same".(Again my apologies AirNav and John)

Get your antenna out as soon as possible John !!!.
Then we'll see.

Regards

Karl.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:04:06 AM by flightchecker »

John Racars

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »
Choeje Morchen (?)
Hallo Karl,

Das ist einfag zu verstehen und schön gefunden! Aber auf gut holländisch scheibt man das eigentlich so: "Goede morgen" oder wie Sie es meinen "Goeie morgen".

Thank you again for your reaction. I hope to get an outside antenna as soon as possible. You talked about a "mast head amplifier". Do you have a WIMO ordernr. of that? This weekend I will order all the needed materials by WIMO.

Please, sent me a screenshot. I am verry interested in what you see!

Thank you again for all the help and given tips. Highly appreciated!!

By the way: I am located verry close at PAM (Pampus) VOR.

Und... einen schönen Tag noch!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 01:25:47 PM by John Racars »
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

flightchecker

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »
Hallo John,

do NOT YET order the "mastpreamplifier". Try the "naked" antenna first, and see how it performs. If the coax feeder is not extending to more than about ten meters, you'll normally not need a preamplifier at all. Only if the cable exeeds the lenght mentioned above, an amplifier serves as a "compensator" for cable losses, that otherwise would degrade the performance of reception. Also, an amplifier CANNOT "look" through obstructions. (buildings trees hills etc.) On the other hand, depending on "strong" input signals, the "frontend" of the receiver may be "overdriven", resulting in "blocked" signal reception, by using a preamp.
Take care, to order the right connectors regarding cable and receiver , WIMO might help, may be you spend them a phone call before ordering, they're doing very well.

Will send one ore more screenshots, (you will find "PAM" of course) but need your e-mail adress first of all. Mine is left in my "profile", just click onto my "nick".

We'll hear from each other.

Good evening, guten Abend ( I dont know on dutch....)

Karl
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:19:34 PM by flightchecker »

John Racars

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 06:26:20 PM »
Good evening, guten Abend ( I dont know on dutch....)
Hi Karl,

No problem of course; it is "Goeden avond"'.

Please sent it to [email protected]

Thank you again!
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

flightchecker

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 10:12:06 AM »
Check your e-mail, John

Karl