AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New antenna and amplifier  (Read 51988 times)

bailey_uk

Re: New antenna and amplifier
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 04:51:33 PM »
Wow how did you create that chart? Is that a new feature with 2.0?
Possibly the youngest RadarBox Owner!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 05:05:12 PM »
I use Excel.  Take the data from the D012.dat file and paste into Excel to create a "Filled Radar" chart.  I wanted someway of comparing old vs. new.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
Thanks for that technique, Tarbat - I've never played with Excel Radar charts before - now I understand how they work!

Do you know what the other .DAT files hold - any more interesting stuff there?

Rod
Rod

bailey_uk

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »
Using ur own inititive to the max! Good work!

CAM

• http://www.planedaft.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
Tarbat,

How was the polar diagram above produced ?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 08:14:30 PM »
Using this Excel spreadsheet.  Paste the contents of D012.dat file into cells D2..D361.

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
hello tarbat but how do you get different values in your D012 file? reset polar diagram but when i put data into excel it was the same as before must be something easy i'm missing.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »
D012.dat only gets updated when you exit Radarbox, so you have to close Radarbox before getting the new values from D012.dat.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »
So, after 1 day of using the new antenna/pre-amp, I'm very impressed.  My expectations were quite low, but I'm surprised how effective the antenna and pre-amp are.  My antenna is located in the loft of a bungalow, with concrete roof tiles and concrete gable-end walls.  Main improvements:

1. Less breakup of trails, indicating more constant reception of aircraft.

2. More aircraft in list.  In fact the CPU usage has increased from an average of 8% to around 13% now.

3. Greater range in the directions I had problems with.  New polar chart, showing the standard antenna vs. the new antenna/pre-amp in RED.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:11:15 AM by tarbat »

BobR

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 09:19:24 AM »
Im going to be looking at buying an external Antenna soon, and just wondering what peoples view on the 1090SJ mk 2, which is considerably cheeper...

http://www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm

I was advised about the same comanys VHF Antenna too which is on the same website.

James

Bailey,

I have his antenna and find it very good. Build quality is excellent and reception is first class. I think its very hard to compare different systems unless you are in the same location so i based my decision on a previous purchase of the airband vhf antenna which is outstanding.

I don't think you will be dissappointed.

All the best,

Bob

bailey_uk

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
Sounds good!

I currently have a 5 foot vertical scaffolding pole attached to my chimney, and wanting to attach both 1090 and VHF antenna to the same pole, is this feasable?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 10:06:45 AM »
After a few days of running, I've now got a decent polar diagram.  Adding the new antenna and pre-amp has given me a 31% increase in area covered, so was well worth the money!!  There's still a couple of areas where aircraft simply haven't flown yet (NW), so I expect maybe a 45% increase in area covered eventually.  And I can stll have the antenna in the loft :)

Adding a better antenna and pre-amp has helped fill in the gaps that are blocked by buildings and my own roof and gable end walls.  It obviously can't increase the maximum range achieved.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:09:13 AM by tarbat »

callan

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »
Hi, would someone be able to tell me if i could mount the 1090 at the bottom of the mast? instead of at the top. as it wold be easier to fix because i would have to take the 16ft mast down  on a two storey house if not.

Danielsen

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »
Hey tarbat and everybody :)
It's just fantastic! I've placed my GP-1090 on top of the roof 8 m. above the ground, and it's simply stunning! I live only a few km. from the geographical center of Denmark and I've got the whole of Denmark (incl. Bornholm) and southern Sweden covered.

As you can see on the diagram from Excel, I've got a lot more coverage with the GP-1090 antenna with the pre-amplifier compared to the standard ANRB antenna. The standard antenna was also placed outside on the roof, but "only" 5 m. above the ground, building up the polar diagram for 3 days. You can clearly see it wasn't placed that well, but with the fairly short cable it was the best location.

But with 744% more coverage the Antenna Kit from Airnav Systems is well worth the money!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
That's an excellent improvement Danielsen - you must be very pleased with the results.
My polar chart continues to build - the Highland skies are very busy today!

One disadvantage of the new antenna and pre-amp.  My aircraft list is often longer than one page now!!!  I think I'll need to refine my timeout settings (currently 20,80).

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:43:15 PM by tarbat »