AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Satellite pictures  (Read 29527 times)

pcochrane12

Re: Satellite pictures
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »
just got this shot of ncle with aircraft taxing out to the runway

testmonkey

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 11:52:53 PM »
What we have done here at development was to have a satellite image of the airport, approach and then area. Then name it like "London Heathrow", "London", "South UK".

I started doing something similar the other day. Was planning on working my way round all UK airfields and doing airport perimiter, 3 mile, 5 mile and 10 mile radius images for each one using the naming convenion EGBB, EGBB_3, EGBB_5 etc.

Am I the only one who thinks the NASA images are too messy for anything over a few miles radius? I just feel that they are a mass of greys and light blues and it's difficult to pick any real features out of them.
testmonkey
--------------------------------------------
RB - MVT9000 - UBC30XLT (for acars)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 12:01:28 AM »
Detailed sat images would:

1.) Be costly as they are not free.
2.) Detail means high CPU usage

Your not tracking cars in individual roads with RadarBox :) so the NASA images still give a good perspective.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

testmonkey

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 12:25:28 AM »
Detailed sat images would:

1.) Be costly as they are not free.
2.) Detail means high CPU usage

Your not tracking cars in individual roads with RadarBox :) so the NASA images still give a good perspective.

Not knocking what we've got - I'm a senior systems and software test engineer working in a market leading environment and understand both points perfectly!

It's just a personal preference when viewing larger areas to stick to my old VOR, NDB based view as I find it difficult to identify clear urban / rural boundaries and therefore localities with the satellite view at such resolutions.

No offence meant :)
testmonkey
--------------------------------------------
RB - MVT9000 - UBC30XLT (for acars)

GlynH

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »
What we have done here at development was to have a satellite image of the airport, approach and then area. Then name it like "London Heathrow", "London", "South UK".

I started doing something similar the other day. Was planning on working my way round all UK airfields and doing airport perimiter, 3 mile, 5 mile and 10 mile radius images for each one using the naming convenion EGBB, EGBB_3, EGBB_5 etc.

Am I the only one who thinks the NASA images are too messy for anything over a few miles radius? I just feel that they are a mass of greys and light blues and it's difficult to pick any real features out of them.

Hi testmonkey,

No...you're not alone...when I first saw them in the thread they looked amazing but having had the chance to use them for a while I find I am also preferring to go back to the usual radar screen type display.

Good feature though that it is I feel we have been spoiled by such things as Google Earth etc.

If as Support says the detailed Sat images are costly then why not consider a subscription to the higher detailed images?

This would give those of us with the CPU horsepower (I run Dual 3GHz Xeons but Dual/Quad core is becoming de rigeur these days) the choice and provide a revenue stream for AirNav.

Alternatively what about the Google Earth type images we see with AirNav Live and I have also seen running on SBS-1?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 08:13:18 AM »
Alternatively what about the Google Earth type images we see with AirNav Live and I have also seen running on SBS-1?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

I think that you'll find the the SBS-1 Basestation software doesn't have any other map options than the simple display it comes with.  In order to dispaly the SBS-1 traffic on Google Earth maps, you have to hack the locked recording file with FileFreedom to get live data, run PlanePlotter (a 3rd party program) then select the "Output to Google Earth" option in planeplotter.  This produces a .kml(?) file that can be read and displayed by Google Earth - phew! are you still with me?

RadarBox outputs 5 minute delayed XML data on ports 7879 and and 30003.  If we really want a Google Earth type map display, there must be somebody out there clever enough to produce a kml file from this?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »
What I've done is:
1. Use ANRB to setup a NASA satellite image - called it Inverness
2. Use Peoples Map to capture the same area using the Getmapping image layer.
3. Save that image.
4. Resize and rotate so that it exactly matches the NASA image saved by ANRB.
5. Overwrite the NASA image.

That gives me this in ANRB.

I'm sure this process could be adapted for images zoomed into your favourite airport - for example:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:43:40 AM by tarbat »

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »
>In order to display the SBS-1 traffic on Google Earth maps, you have to hack the locked recording file with FileFreedom to get live data

Adding to this we have to mention that SBS-1 does not meet any safety measures and that it is totally illegal to allow the users to do this. This kind of software should not allow users to access live data at anytime. This has been reported by many times on the SBS-1 forum and Kinetic/ML&S did nothing to correct that situation which puts them in a total illegal situation.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 08:53:36 AM »
Maybe Airnav could tell us what the format of data in the associated STL file is.  For my Inverness map, the STL file contains:

I wonder what those numbers mean?

GlynH

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
Allocator: Phew...I'm with you but only just! :-)

I realised that SBS-1 wouldn't do it 'out of the box' as it depends on add-ons for everything - one of the things that attracted me to RB in the first place...

It's just that when I saw it in action I was shown the Google Earth bit and it looked impressive. I was not certain of the mechanics behind it though...

Tarbat: Those images you posted look awesome! Now that I (and everyone else I would think) would love to use.

I feel a tarbat thread along the lines of the 'Rod Bearden Show' coming along to save lazy people like me from all that hard work!

I'd pay to subscribe to that...

Imagine if mapping to that level was 'in the box' - are you listening Dev -help that man with his question...:-)

Didn't realise you were on Flickr Chris - obviously you have an interest in aircraft or else you wouldn't be here would you? :-)

When you get a minute take a look at the aircraft pictures on my Flickr page;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10783221@N07/sets/72157606056212172/

Dont forget the F-22 Raptor shot during the torrential rain when practising on the Friday for the cancelled show earlier this year;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10783221@N07/2661415853/

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:26:45 AM by GlynH »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 10:08:04 AM »
I feel a tarbat thread along the lines of the 'Rod Bearden Show' coming along to save lazy people like me from all that hard work!

Hard work is good for you!!!  And I have a very low boredom threshold.  However, I did have a quick go at doing Heathrow Airport (click the thumbnail for full size image).

PEOPLES MAP      NASA MAP
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:16:24 AM by tarbat »

GlynH

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »

Hard work is good for you!!!  And I have a very low boredom threshold.  However, I did have a quick go at doing Heathrow Airport (click the thumbnail for full size image).

Yeah but I have done enough hard work to last me a lifetime and at my time of life I am looking for an easy life...:-)

You probably wouldn't think so though as it seems I have been inadvertantly upsetting the natives again..<sigh>

The difference in mapping is staggering Chris...I'm gonna have to take a look at doing some of those maps myself...might make them a little lighter or more 'transparent' so I can see the aircraft better though.

Either that or buy some glasses...:-)

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 10:33:18 AM »
Don't worry, the natives are generally friendly, but are rightly proud of their achievements, particularly when compared to the competition.  As for satellite images, I don't use them myself, I much prefer a basic ATC type display!!!

GlynH

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 10:42:08 AM »
Don't worry, the natives are generally friendly, but are rightly proud of their achievements, particularly when compared to the competition.  As for satellite images, I don't use them myself, I much prefer a basic ATC type display!!!

Yeah well I do worry...they have every reason to be proud of their achievements and as I have said I am equally as proud to be using them...

Like you it would appear I prefer to use the normal type radar screen but after seeing your screenshots...I am hooked.

I have taken a look at the link you gave me and found the view of my home location so will have a go at converting it.

I am guessing you save the Peoples Map as a jpeg but how/what do you use to compare them so the size/layout is the same?

And do you need to create a different .STL file?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
Yes, save the Peoples Map as a JPG.  I use Microsoft Image Composer to resize and rotate.  Last one I did I had to resize by 59%, and rotate by +2%, but each map will be difference.  And no, you have to use the existing STL file, unless we can work out what the numbers in the STL file mean.