anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do I have a problem?  (Read 12519 times)

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
Re: Do I have a problem?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 09:39:15 AM »
Thanks dudbaker for that. My issue is that the RB can pick up the changes of its info then why doesn't it display the aircraft on the screen? It might show the traffic later or before I loose it on the screen but when the globe icon no longer show and the aircraft is off the screen how is it possible for the RB to still get updated info from the aircraft but not be able to show it on the screen?

dudbaker

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »
OK

Then I can only assume that your box is picking up EHS all the time and ES some of the time.  Not necessarily a fault with the box but interferrace etc.  I notice this when tracking an AA flight out of STN.
Dudley Baker
Stansted
G8THH
[email protected]
Valiant, Victor, Shackelton, Canberra, VC10, Tornado Typhoon 737 747 A320 A300 Engineer.

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
Right, my test here would be to run RB on a laptop outside in the open and use the standard RadarBox antenna.  This will show straight away if the problem is the antenna or the receiver.

I get outstanding results with the standard antenna on the roof of the car away from buildings :-)

You could have a problem with the antenna, the pre-amp, the co-ax, or the adaptor.  Do I read you right when you say you have a mast head amp and another amp where the cable goes into the hardware receiver?  Isn't that a little overkill?

Well I tried it without the Jim Amp and the results were much worse than with it on.

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »
OK

Then I can only assume that your box is picking up EHS all the time and ES some of the time.  Not necessarily a fault with the box but interferrace etc.  I notice this when tracking an AA flight out of STN.

Ahhh finally a diagnosis we can work with. Thanks! Is there anything that can be done about this?

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »
Storm,

I refer you to my earlier suggestion.  By removing one of your 2 pre-amps, this really hasn't proved anything.  You need to go back to the basic setup - PC, RadarBox and standard antenna.

I would also suggest change of location now if you think that it might be external interference.  Have you got a laptop, or a friend with a laptop. You can install RB on as many PC's as you like, as the software will only work when it's connected to the hardware receiver.

When I'm using the laptop with RB at work, moving the standard antenna on the windowsill as little as 5 cm can make a significant difference to my coverage and number of contacts.

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
Thats going to be my next test once I have time. Ill keep you posted. I have tried it on the window sill in the loft a few times I just get much less traffic but I do get traffic on the screen just not as much as with the external antenna.

apjwright

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 12:27:48 PM »

One question that nobody has asked Storm is:  Where are you located?

In North America, where I am, there's still a lot of aircraft that show up on the 'my flights' screen, but not on the map because they are not required to report all of the details (i.e. position).

Just my 2 cents to try and help...

Regards,
Tony

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »
OK. I have just figured something out. The RB is connected to my computer via a USB Extender going to a powered USB hub to my computer.

I connected the RB via the extender directly to my machine and I got 40-70 msgs/sec more than when using the hub. The problem is that it disconnects from the RB after about 20 seconds or so. So I guess its better to connect it directly to the computer. But how do I avoid the disconnect to the box when its connected directly to the RB? Maybe its a power issue with the hub? Or could it be something else? Anyone know how I can fix this?

BTW I removed everything from the USB ports on the comp and the RB still disconnects after a few seconds.

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »

One question that nobody has asked Storm is:  Where are you located?

In North America, where I am, there's still a lot of aircraft that show up on the 'my flights' screen, but not on the map because they are not required to report all of the details (i.e. position).

Just my 2 cents to try and help...

Regards,
Tony

Kuwait

Allocator

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 01:06:52 PM »
OK. I have just figured something out. The RB is connected to my computer via a USB Extender going to a powered USB hub to my computer.

I connected the RB via the extender directly to my machine and I got 40-70 msgs/sec more than when using the hub. The problem is that it disconnects from the RB after about 20 seconds or so. So I guess its better to connect it directly to the computer. But how do I avoid the disconnect to the box when its connected directly to the RB? Maybe its a power issue with the hub? Or could it be something else? Anyone know how I can fix this?

BTW I removed everything from the USB ports on the comp and the RB still disconnects after a few seconds.

It's amazing that your poor RadarBox even speaks to the PC - you've got so much rubbish between the box and the antenna and now you are telling us that you've got a USB extender and a powered hub between the PC and the box - just a joke, honest :-)

Am I reading this right that you still have the USB extender going from the PC to the RadarBox hardware.  What sort of extender is it, how long is it and is it providing enough power to run the hardware?

I'd still go back to basics - standard USB lead to hardware and standard antenna.  If there are no problems with this, then add the other bits into the system one at a time to see where the problem is.

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »
Well. Problem solved it was the external USB hub that was the problem. I installed a new internal USB 2.0 and viola! Picking up traffic the way I used to now!

Thanks all for the help.

Allocator

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 09:43:16 AM »
Good work Storm.  It's worth working through these problems and reporting back so that other users can learn :-)

Storm

• KuwaitStorm
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 09:45:30 AM »
Indeed. Do not use external hubs!