anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Auto Populate  (Read 24653 times)

virtualradar

Auto Populate
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »
I was wondering if there is a auto populate programme for AirNav. If there is (which i hope there is) can someone tell me were to get it.
thanks
Colin

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Auto Populate
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
If you mean the equivalent of autopopulate from GAS, then it's built into Radarbox.  Radarbox automatically retrieves details of aircraft registration, etc. from the Airnav servers.

markb

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:12:19 AM »
Open up your log, select tools and there's an option for populate there.....

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »
Open up your log, select tools and there's an option for populate there.....

Autopopulate runs in the background all the time you are connected to the internet, updating the main NavData.db3 database.

The Populate option in MyLog only populates the records in MyLog.db3 using the data in NavData.db3.

For example, you pick up a new Live or Network aircraft with RadarBox.  There are no aircraft details in the list.  Autopopulate finds the details on the AirNav server and fills in the details.  If you look at the Aircraft in MyLog, the aircraft details will probably be missing, as the record was saved to MyLog.db3 before Autopopulate downloaded the details to NavData.db3.  Use Populate in MyLog and the details will be grabbed from NavData.db3 and filled in.

Fantastic, no mucking around with 3rd party programs, RadarBox does it all :-)

Jetcos

• Flightdeck Solutions
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 12:20:55 AM »
Wondering about the populate feature. My aircraft total is slowly building and I do remember it constantly changing as it populated the aircraft. Now it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Is there something I need to have on or a feature clicked?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Cos
CYYZ Toronto,Canada

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 09:13:30 AM »
Wondering about the populate feature. My aircraft total is slowly building and I do remember it constantly changing as it populated the aircraft. Now it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Is there something I need to have on or a feature clicked?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I don't really understand what the problem.  What just keeps getting bigger?  Is this the total number of aircraft in MyLog, or are you talking about the size of the NavData.db3 file?  In either case, what is the problem and what do you want to see or not see here?  I'm sure we can answer you question if we know what you are trying to achieve :-)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »
I see the same "problem".  The number of aircraft it attempts to populate (TOOLS - POPULATE) is now 79, and is increasing.

However, I don't think this is a problem.  This is simply the number of aircraft that ANRB is unable to find on GAS.  Although it may indicate that the GAS lookup process is not working again :(

If you sort your Log by Registration number, I bet you'll see a lot with blank registrations.

Jetcos

• Flightdeck Solutions
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »
Hi Guys,

If I go to My Log and then Populate the box comes up about how long it will take and then the box comes up with the total number of aircraft that will/may be populated. That number has never gotten amy lower, it keeps climbing. With the older version the number was (for example) 26 then when it was done it may be down to 5. Now it is almost 300 aircraft, this tells me that the populate feature is not working for me. I am on the internet when I am running RB at home, as I am using Flightaware also to help tie up the aircraft that are not on the map.

Thanks again,

Steve
Steve Cos
CYYZ Toronto,Canada

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:51:04 AM »
Steve,

As I understand it - and I may be wrong - all the Populate function in MyLog does is to populate the records of aircraft you have already picked up and are recorded in the totally separate MyLog.db3

I think that it works like this:

- When you are connected to the internet and a new aircraft is picked up, the details are autopopulated from the AirNav Server.  These details are written to the main source database NavData.db3

- At the same time, live aircraft are written to MyLog.db3 as a record of what you have picked up via your antenna

- If it was a new aircraft with no details, and it was written to MyLog.bd3 before it autopopulated, then you will also have the details missing in MyLog

- If you use Populate in MyLog, the MyLog.db3 database is compared to the NavData.db3 database and any details missing in MyLog are populated from NavData

I've just used Populate in MyLog, and the first time the number of aircraft to populate was 99.  Did it a second time and it's 64, next it was 59 - so my records are being populated OK. I've got a total of 4883 aircraft in MyLog which was restarted with RB 2009.  You're never going to get a zero figure.

So, this is a fairly simplistic explanation of how I think the MyLog Populate function works.  Can anybody add to this?

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:03:25 PM »
I think your general description of the process is correct, Allocator, but when you populate MyLog, the process seems to take much longer than it should if it was just locally interrogating NavaData.db3, and we get the same message as when RB is asking the AirNav server for Photo/Info requests for aircraft new to NavData.

I suspect that there's more going on here!

Rod
Rod

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 12:07:37 PM »
You could be right Rod.  The Processing Photo count doesn't tie in with the number of aircraft to populate though - 59 to populate, 22 photos being processed.

It does sound like Steve isn't getting the normal autopopulate for some reason if his MyLog populate figure is never decreasing.

Bethsalem

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »
I'm getting the same problem as Steve using v2.0, any ideas for a workaround or fix?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »
Whats happening is that is tried to populate those aircraft but finding no information. The proccesing just shows which ones its going through at that time.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »
I'm getting the same problem as Steve using v2.0, any ideas for a workaround or fix?

It's not a RadarBox problem otherwise we'd all be having the same problem.  

- What version of RB are you using?

- If you are using 2009, do you do an upgrade or a fresh install?

- What version of Windows are you using - Vista?

- Can you see Network traffic OK - thinking about Firewall issues here

- Do aircraft without details in the MyFlights and Network lists autopopulate as they appear?

This might give us an idea of what your problem is.

Bethsalem

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »
Allocator, I'm using RB 2009, XP Service Pack 3, and can see Network traffic with no problems.  The answer to your last question is not always.  I'm sure that if I reinstall RB 2009 the problem will disappear.  Which is something I will get around to doing when I get a moment :)  Thanks for your help.