AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BeNeLux  (Read 12811 times)

John Racars

BeNeLux
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:03:11 PM »
Hi All,

Herewith my first screenshots after the "coming-back" of my RB from repair.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:41:52 PM by John Racars »
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

Wer3Y

Re: BeNeLux
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »
Wat was wrong with your RB..? did u install an antenna..?
-= W e r 3 Y =-

John Racars

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:19:13 PM »
Wat was wrong with your RB..?

It is unclear for me until sofar what the cause of the problem was. Most important of all is that AirNav repaired my RB free and the RB is working fine now again.
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

belgianguy

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
Hi John,

Did you use the standard antenna for these screenshots are did you connected your external antenna again?

If I use my standard antenna, I don't have such a coverage like you do.

John Racars

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »
Did you use the standard antenna for these screenshots are did you connected your external antenna again?

Hi All,

I have decided until further notice not to give any comment on my technical setup. I am verry sorry to do so but I think it is all the best in my case.

And again: AirNav repaired my RB free and, as you can see, my RB is working fine now again.

For technical questions, please ask AirNav.

I hope you all understand!
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

Wer3Y

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »
i didnt get you.. why you dont want to tell us if you are using an external antenna or no..

or maybe you are trying to tell us airnav tweaked your RB..?

please verify ;)
-= W e r 3 Y =-

belgianguy

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 01:29:03 PM »
@Wer3Y
There was another topic in this forum where there was a discussion about using a standard or external antenna and that the use of an external antenna could be the reason that some radarboxes stopped working.

Ofcourse Airnav didn't tweaked his radarbox, but I do understand John that he doesn't want to restart this discussion again and I respect his decision.

I enjoy the screenshots of John because I live in the Benelux myself and I hope he keeps posting them.

End of discussion.

GlynH

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 04:18:17 AM »
@Wer3Y
There was another topic in this forum where there was a discussion about using a standard or external antenna and that the use of an external antenna could be the reason that some radarboxes stopped working. End of discussion.

End of discussion? I think not...

Where is the logic that dictates for the best signal you must use an external antenna coupled with the shortest low loss cable you can afford but if you do so you risk damage to your RadarBox??

I believe even a masthead pre-amp is recommended in some situations...what then?

I respect John's decision not to reveal his setup - that is his perogative and I am not asking him to do so but as a user of an external antenna myself I am more than a little concerned that the simple task of doing so may risk damage to my brand new RadarBox.

How ridiculous...

Luckily I have a cracking signal from my external antenna as it is...I just posted a screenshot a few minutes ago in this very forum that shows the Mode-S Signal Maximum Range rings that I receive from my external antenna.

But what if I weren't so fortunate to have good coverage?

I for one would want then want to fit a high quality masthead pre-amp such as the Kuhne that supposedly has a 30dB gain.

What then?

Probably the wrong forum to discuss this so I am off to see if I can find the thread in Duscussion...I don't recall seeing this when I trawled through all 44 pages prior to buying my RadarBox...

Worryingly my friend Terry who lives near me installed his masthead pre-amp yesterday and is seeing contacts as far North as Leuchars in Scotland, 40 miles West of Kilkenny in Ireland, well into France & also Germany which is even further than me...

He has given up his 16 month old SBS-1 to go RadarBox and we are saying here that it may not even survive it's warranty period intact being fed with a 'bare' external antenna let alone a pre-amplified one?

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

Addendum: OK...found the thread here;

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=977.0

Interesting (& worrying) reading. Don't know how I missed this when I trawled the forum before...I'm going to start a new thread over in Discussion as this is the wrong place to talk about such things here.

Thread was deleted :-(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:33:28 AM by GlynH »