anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Future of Airnav and Tracking  (Read 9687 times)

cosmoc

Future of Airnav and Tracking
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:57:27 AM »
Hello all
I thought i might start this topic so people could ask about the future of tracking.
for example i was wondering if airnav has any really big advancements for RadarBox  up their sleve.
Another interesting question is what else it their to be tracked in the world. I am very much looking forward to ship trax but what other probabilitys are their (e.g. Train Trax?)
these are only thoughts but i am sure people would love to know if their are any big things coming up in the tracking world

cosmoc :-)

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Future of Airnav and Tracking
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:20:21 AM »
Hi cosmoc

I don't know much about the subject, but there has been talk that all airside vehicles at airports would be tracked by ADS-B, and there is a thread here about aircraft tugs at Gardermoen being detected by RB.

If that does happen we're going to need a way of filtering them out, or RB's airport plots would get very messy!

Rod
Rod

CAM

• http://www.planedaft.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:45:27 PM »
Cosmoc,

I dont think train trax is a starter, there are no trains that i know of have any type of transponder fitted that you could obtain data from.

There were thoughts on this a number of years ago but the cost just killed it off, but hey ho you nover know what will be next !

Christian

cosmoc

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:24:10 PM »
all very good

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »
Cosmoc,

I dont think train trax is a starter, there are no trains that i know of have any type of transponder fitted that you could obtain data from.
While off topic but just for the record. A system called ERTMS for signalling railway main lines in the UK uses GPRS to give train position reports. A similar system is in use on the continent so, given time, it will be possible to track trains. I also believe that one of the Welsh train operating companies uses GPRS so that they know which valleys there diesel un its are in :-)

Mike (ex railwayman)

cosmoc

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:50:08 AM »
that sounds like a good system. what about airnav is their anything big planed for the future of RB or other programs?
:-)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:18:40 AM »
That would be telling :)

Rest assured we are always on the look out for new services and products.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:07:09 AM »
For Train Tracking, you can use TrainPlotter

TrainPlotter decodes, displays and plots radio data transmissions between Trains and Controllers coded in accordance with UIC (INTERNATIONAL UNION OF RAILWAYS) protocol UIC 751-3 in the 460 MHz band, as used in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands and Spain.

COAA have solutions for tracking aircraft, ships, and trains.  You can even bring all these together in a single display using CombiPlotter.  Maybe AirNav will look at bringing ships and aircraft together onto a single display?

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
We have been reading this post with great interest. What we can guarantee is that we will be working every day to improve all our systems.

- V1.6 of RadarBox is almost finished;
- ShipTrax: we are waiting for the hardware to be finsihed;
- Flight Tracker: a new version will come out in a few months;

Unlike our RadarBox competition that promises new features and has the same old and outdated software and hardware being sold for 3 years, we will continue, always, to do our best to meet user's expectations.

cosmoc

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 06:42:10 AM »
sounds great Airnav!:-)
I mentioned before about other things to be tracked. is their anything else that can be tracked like other than Planes,boats that airnav has looked at or is going to look at?
all the best :-)

cosmoc

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 06:53:59 AM »
hi again!
just thought of a cool feature that could be introduced into the RB. On the aircraft they TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidence System) which go's off when other aircraft come to close. is it possiable that if two aircraft come to close to each other the RB allerts us to this by noise or flashing or somthing:-)

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »
hi again!
just thought of a cool feature that could be introduced into the RB. On the aircraft they TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidence System) which go's off when other aircraft come to close. is it possiable that if two aircraft come to close to each other the RB allerts us to this by noise or flashing or somthing:-)

Start asking for things like that and I am sure it will get the authorities round to banning the use of such devices. Use yours to watch aircraft and enjoy - not for possible disaster watching :-(

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »
Completely agree.  Any assessment of aircraft being "too close" using RadarBox would be pointless anyway, as it's not calibrated for that purpose.  It's difficult enough when you have the radar replays, controller and pilot transcripts and reports!

You can read all about "near misses" on the UK Airprox Board website.  All the reports are there for all to see.  Note that the vast majority of Airprox incidents happen outside controlled airspace with aircraft that wouldn't show on RadarBox anyway.

http://www.airproxboard.org.uk/

Deadcalm

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »
Yep, used to be my raison d'etre at West Drayton.  Produced hundreds of what Allocator describes, so watch and enjoy.  Forget about TCAS and using RadarBox for airprox spotting...

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

CAM

• http://www.planedaft.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »
Roadrunner,

ERTMS is currently being installed on two uk based trains in France, this will be used as a trial in wales. Lots of trains use GPRS for position info, tapping into it is another question.

Christian