anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone here tried the Lantronics UBox?  (Read 3881 times)

GlynH

Anyone here tried the Lantronics UBox?
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »
Hi there,

As subject has anyone had any experience of the Lantronics UBox?

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/ubox.html

I done a search for UBox on the forums but got 14 pages worth of 'hits' but only 4 mentions of UBox - seems like user juangelb has got a couple of these working and can even access it over the Internet?

The UBox could live in my loft within a metre or so USB length from the RadarBox which would mean the antenna coax could be kept nice & short.

It would give me an extra USB port up there which would be very handy as most of my computer gear (apart from my main workstation, monitors, printers, scanner & music gear) is up there mainly to keep my office tidier, cooler & quieter!

Interestingly their software seems to indicate that any USB device could be shared by any computer on the network but whether this would apply to the RadarBox I don't know...juangelb seemed to think it would work well even over the Internet?

Seems ideal to me.

Where can I buy one from in the UK I wonder?

Review of UBox for those interested;

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/networking/0,1000000697,39352959,00.htm

Video review here;

http://blip.tv/file/587083

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:08:26 PM by GlynH »

GlynH

Re: Anyone here tried the Lantronics UBox?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:14:53 AM »
OK...should be collecting one today hopefully.

I wonder if I should install the RB directly onto the PC first using just the USB cable or whether I should plug in the UBox to the network and the RB into that and load the drivers from there?

Hmmmm...guessing that no-one left on here has trodden this path yet.

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
Re: Anyone here tried the Lantronics UBox?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »
Hi Glyn,

Yes I´m using two Uboxes (one 2100 and one 4100)
One os this using here at home for not to have a much more coax long running,
and the secon one I am using at Buenos Aires for accesing a RB that I left there the last rime a passed there.
The Buenos Aires RB I access trough the internet and the one at my home I access trough the network. Both working fine.

The road map is as follows :
You connect RB to one port of Ubox, connecr Ubox to your network, configure his IP address with his program.
Supposing that You already have RB software installed, the only thing that You nedd is to do a click over the icom of RB that will appear on Ubox software (to capture the port for You computer). At this time it is possible that Windows will require to install again the Device drivers, since the USB port in use changed)
Normal procedure as when You intalled the RB.
Ready !

The trough internet connection, is similar but probably you will need to deal withdinamic IP, and for that, You nedd to use some DDNS or NO-IP server for staying aware of what is the Ubox IP at any timo, since the Ubox program does not allow to put directy the DNS registered name, Youll need to manually update the IP of the software to allow it to connect to Ubox.
(This is an issue that already requested to change to Lantronix, but till now....)

I hpo that this help.

Cheers. Juan