AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Better Tracking with Network Switched off  (Read 8455 times)

spotter70

Better Tracking with Network Switched off
« on: July 14, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »
Somebody may have already answered this question
I am finding that after continued use of RB with the Network Switched off i am getting a better signal and more Accurate Flights and information.
Anybody else had this issue
Here is an attached picture of what i have with the network swithced off.
Regards
Spotter70

[attachment deleted by admin]

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: Better Tracking with Network Switched off
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:31:27 PM »
Technically speaking what you mention it totally impossible.

The Network flights have nothing to do with HW flights. They come from separate sources and priority is given for HW flights. HW flights are processed separately and the signal is processed in the box, outside the PC.

spotter70

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:55:57 PM »
i do not really understand your answer that you have given,but i can say that some flights do not appear at all with the network on as i see them overhead a visual description,soon as i switch the network off it becomes more accurate with what i see on the screen ties up with what i see overhead.
is this making any sense or have i confused myself :)
regards
spotter70

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:40:53 PM »
My Flights showed 4 tracks only.  Switched off Network Data and this instantly jumped to 17 tracks.

I think that those tracks were there, but were listed in the Network Data.  When this happens, the Live tracks listed in Network only update every 30 seconds.

I think that there is something about the way that priority is allocated (or isn't allocated) to live tracks that needs looking at.

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 09:09:01 PM »
Right, lets look at an example.

This first picture shows GSM448 approx 15 miles south of Home at FL379, easily within live coverage range, but only showing in Networked Data with the position being delayed by 5 minutes (cross checked with the SBS-1)

I now deselect Network Data, and immediately GSM448 is picked up as a live track in its actual position some 25 miles to the north east of Home..  It is now added to the My Flights list.  Note the difference in distance between the tracks in each picture, even though these screens were grabbed one after the other with only seconds between the grabs.  The Network track of GSM448 failed to update at least twice when listed in the Network list.

Also, look at EZY178 - almost off the top of the picture in the first shot.  Switch off Network data and it shows to the north east of home, yet is only showed as a network track with live and Network selected.  Surely, live data should take priority over network data?

OK AirNav, over to you :-)

This has also been submitted direct to [email protected]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 10:23:11 PM by Allocator »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 12:01:06 AM »
Thanks Allocater for the detailed email and pictures. That will make it easier to investigate and find a cause.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:12:29 PM »
Today is the first time that I've used RadarBox for any length of time without access to the internet and Network data.

I'm very pleased with the performance using what frankly looks like a fairly unimpressive standard antenna sitting on the ground-floor window ledge of a brick built building facing south.  I'm getting good contacts out to 90 miles in all directions except to the NE which is reduced to about 40 miles.  The number of aircraft in the "My Flights" list is averaging around 20-30, and because I've had RB running online for 5 days, the majority of my contacts have photos available.  The "Beep and Message" alert function is excellent with it set up to "trap" 43C* Mode S codes - of course, I can't actually see these on the map and I am missing having the altitude readout in the aircraft list (hopefully coming with the next software version).

I've left the "home" location alone, although it would be nice to be able to have a few saved locations to choose from as per the SBS-1.  I don't know if the wrong home loctaion actually makes any difference to the aircraft display on the map.

How does the performance in this location compare with the SBS-1?  There seem to be more contacts on the screen than when I used the SBS-1 here, but that might be because there are more aircraft about today!  All I can say is that I'm more that happy with the RB performance at this less than ideal location, and that there are more than enough aircraft showing to keep me amused!

spotter70

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »
I am of the same tune as Allocator
As of yesterday i logged 40+ aircraft from flyovers and RB descriptions were a great help even if some of the Contacts did not appear on the radar screen in my flights column i was able to concur the information to what i was actually seeing.
Overall the performance of Radarbox has been very good and hopefully Airnav will provide a patch to Iron out some small details that need attention
Extremley pleased