anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why SMA connector?  (Read 3307 times)

GlynH

Why SMA connector?
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »
Hi there AirNav,

What with all the fuss about how 'highly-strung' 1090MHz is and how important it is to use the shortest low loss cable, centre pins making poor contact, having to cut larger connectors off to get the cable through the wall etc. can I ask why you decided to fit the SMA connector to the RadarBox when it appears from reading the forum that most people are then forced to use a SMA -> BNC adaptor which itself can only bring yet more losses into the equation?

I hate using adaptors - one of the reasons I ditched my Icom R5 scanner for the Yaesu VR500 was because the former used the SMA connector and most antennas are BNC.

Is it possible to purchase a RadarBox pre-fitted with a BNC connector I wonder?

I would fit one myself but my guess is this will probably void the warranty...

There must have been a valid reason to fit a non-BNC connector - please don't tell me it was just to save a few pence on price ;^)

<ducking>

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Why SMA connector?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:02:51 AM »
Hi Glynn,

Using SMA, they have too large data bandwith and low amount of loss. They are used quite a lot nowadays espically for devices like Wifi routers.

The loss between is adatper is actually very small and the adatpers are also very cheap (£5). We did consider early on having an adapter with every RadarBox.

Not to mention the BNC connector is much larger than the SMA.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]