anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 SCREENS AS ONE  (Read 9581 times)

TONY

2 SCREENS AS ONE
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »
I see in one of the other posts someone asking about 2 screens for showing off the information.
I run the box on 2 screens with no problems. You must have a graphics card with 2 outputs, and set the prferances to run them as one screen. When you have radarbox running, you just strech the the screen across and you can have the radar on the right and all the information on the left.
i run a 22in widescreen on the right and a 22in normal on the left. Works perfectly and is very easy to set up.
If you want to revert back to one screen, you just have to go into control panel - display - settings - advanced - moniter and then change it back to single display.

TONY

Hosch

Re: 2 SCREENS AS ONE
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 06:38:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice Tony. Use RB for some months now and hadn't try it !

Hosch

GlynH

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:29:16 AM »
That was probably me Tony but your suggestion wouldn't work here I'm afraid...:-(

If I were to set the display mode to in my case Horizontal Span (NVIDIA Quadro) instead of the usual DualView not only would the screen be a funny resolution and out of proportion/perspective (everything would appear letter-boxed) but the gap in the middle of the two monitors and the width of the bezels themselves interrupt the 'flow' of the display.

Imagine watching a movie on your 50" plasma with a 2" wide strip of tape vertically down the middle...:-/

Also doing things this way makes all requestors, windows etc open in the middle of the display - split in half once again by the gap between the monitors...ugh!

More importantly when I open another program this would also be 'stretched' across both monitors which means I cannot work on a program running on one screen while keeping an eye on the other or work on two documents (great for cutting & pasting spreadsheets for example) concurrently.

Sometimes even the simple task of just having two browser windows open each on its own screen is a godsend...saves all that task switching to & fro...

When I feel in 'eco-mode' wishing to do my bit to save the planet and work on one monitor with the other switched off I have to mess around resetting the diplay properties and change them back again?

<shudder>

Once you have had the luxury of working 'properly' with two monitors & multi-display aware programs it becomes more than a luxury - a necessity in my case that I wouldn't want to do without.

A bit like having air-conditioning in a car really ;^)

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 10:16:39 AM »
This is how I use my 2-screen setup.  I run RadarBox on the main screen (19 inch 1280x1024) and my browser and other stuff on the secondary screen (15 inch 1024x768)

If I'm running the PCR-1500 scanner at the same time, sometimes I will reduce the size of the RB window to show part of the scanner interface below it on the main screen.

However, I do agree that the best option by far would be to have the radar screen as full-screen on one monitor, and the aircraft list on the other.  Maybe one day?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:05:47 PM by Allocator »

TONY

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
Well it looks like someone needs to get a geforce8600 card and it will not 'letter box' the program,as to a funny resolution and out of proportion this does not happen.
Why would I want to compare it to watching a movie on a 50in plasma with a 2in wide strip in the middle? If I was watching radarbox on a 50in plasma I would not require another screen!!!!
Why would I want to run a spread sheet when I am in a radar box session???
If I did, I would open up my laptop and work on that.
Lastly I do not have the 'LUXURY' of having a car with air-conditioning so I am left with a two screen set-up with the whole of the right hand screen showing the map and the whole of the left hand screen showing the whole of the aircraft list.
The planes from the map do not 'FLOW' over to the left, that is a seperate set of information which works with, but is also independant.
I say it again, it is very easy with the right graphics card!!!!!

TONY

Hosch

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »
The dual monitor configuration works perfectly well at my place ! No distortion, just stretch the soft over 2 screens.

Hosch

GlynH

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:14 PM »
Tony,

You evidently have no comprehension as to what I am talking about nor how I prefer to work and the analogies I tried to use to make it easy for you to understand were obviously wasted. :-/

Suffice to say I have worked with two monitors since 2000 when I was using a Matrox Millenium G400 and currently use a Quadro graphics card so have no need for a games card thank you very much. :-)

Why on earth would I want to run a spreadsheet hunched over a laptop when I have a nice pair of 19" TFT montors running at 1280 x 1024 per side??

The 2560 x 1024 aspect ratio will always look letterboxed to me and anyway I have to move the mouse too far to access the tooltray not to mention putting myself through hoops having to change the display modes of my monitors...

I thought the idea of using computers as a tool was to make things easy and customisation is there for each of us to adapt to the way we prefer to work.

Well that is how I prefer to work...YMMV. Whatever works for you fella...but not for me thanks.

It seems to me like you need air conditioning - you sound a little overheated to me! ;^)

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

TONY

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »
Well,
that certainly touched someones nerve ends.
I don't need to understand how you work, it doesn't work!!!!!!
I am very happy to go along in my own quite way making the radar box work for me.
I am happy that Hosch can run it very simply too.

TONY

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 10:17:08 PM »
Hey, and I'm happy with my 1280x1024 single monitor!!!

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »
Radarbox works well on my Single Acer Piano Black 24 inch monitor with 1920X1200 resolution as well. One can only follow so many aircraft ant once........

Mind you, If I could afford another 24 inch monitor I am sure I could find a way of making use of it :-)

Regards

Mike