anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prospective customer - deciding between RB or SBS-1?  (Read 24117 times)

GlynH

Prospective customer - deciding between RB or SBS-1?
« on: July 12, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »
Hi there,

A friend has the SBS-1 and it has me hooked!

On doing some research I found the RadarBox which has now confused the issue as I don't know which one to go for so more research now seems the order of the day...

In the meantime I thought I would give the RB software a go as I have seen some posts saying that you could download the software and give it a try albeit with some pre-recorded files...but where can I donwload the software and files from please??

I also wanted to give the ACARS & SelCall a go but although I click on the download trial version all I get is what looks like an official order form that expects my credit card details...

Have I missed something here?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Prospective customer - deciding between RB or SBS-1?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
The file below can help you make your mind up regarding RadarBox.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=665.0

As you can see RadarBox has many more features.

Trial products on our site need a credit card so we can authorise them. If you cancel within 7 days you are not charged, otherwise you are charged as if you have bought the software.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

GlynH

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »
Many thanks for the reply...that was quick! :-)

I have already downloaded and read the .pdf but with all due respect I take most such documents with a pinch of salt...I mean they will obviously be biased towards the product they represent and as such will never extoll the virtues of the competition but merely highlight their weaknesses/disadvantages compared to their represented product.

Hardly a fair comparison...but a comparison never-the-less...thanks.

Also despite a product having technical advantages it is often the software that will 'make or break' it which was why after seeing my friends SBS-1 in action it would have been good to see the RB software as a comparison while it is still fresh in my mind...unfortunately I do not know anyone round here with a RB which was why I was interested in getting my hands dirty on a trial version...

I must say I am a little confused between some of the software available here - I mean I get the idea of Radarbox - obviously the 'other half' to its dedicated hardware companion but why AirNav Live Flight Tracker or AirNav Suite?

Wouldn't that detract from sales of the hardware radarBox?

I am being swayed by some of the 'bolt-ons' you produce and I would prefer to keep it all 'in house' which was why I was also interested in your ACARS & SelCal Decoders...maybe also ShipTrax...all things that the competition does not have I believe!

Decisions...decisions...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »
Glyn,

You can download RadarBox 2008 from:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/ANRB/ANRB15Setup.exe

And you can run in the demo mode.

"Hardly a fair comparison...but a comparison never-the-less...thanks.Also despite a product having technical advantages it is often the software that will 'make or break' it "

I would run our software and then I think you will understand why RadarBox is outselling SBS and why it is a fair comparison (notice how they do not have a comparison with us). Furthermore as you say our replies are quick with a decidated support team who is always around.

You seem to be getting a confsued around the other software we sell. RadarBox bough on its own will come with its software RadarBox 2008.

The other software we sell such as Live Flight Tracker are for different audiences and or different functions such as ACARS. You can trial them and see whether they match your needs.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Steve R

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 07:16:29 PM »
Yo GlynH

All I can say is this. BUY THE RADARBOX!

I've had mine for just over a week now & it is brill. I'm pleased I got the RadarBox.

I had both the AirNav RadarBox & the SBS-1 sitting side-by-side, both are similar in pricing but the things that persauded me to go with the RadarBox are these;

The RadarBox is defo better in respect of its build quality, it just feels and looks more sturdy.

The software interface is pretty good, I've seen the SBS-1 software running, but it doesn't come close to the features of the RadarBox software.

The support regarding software updates by AirNav seems so far pretty good. It is actually nice for once to see a compnay listening to its customer base.

I have the AirNav ACARS Decoder & this seems to intergrate nicely when using the RadarBox software.

The support of this forum has been very good, members seem helpful & have already answered some of my questions pretty quick. Aswell as listening to ideas that have been put forward.

(That for me is brill, you can't beat quality aftercare support) I don't know what the SBS-1 support is like, but I know this, there seems to be alot of add-ons so to speak that can be downloaded etc for the SBS-1, but these add-ons are already included in the RadarBox software. Perfect.

So in conclusion. I'm very pleased that I purchased the RadarBox, I think I would be gutted if I had bought the SBS-1. Sorry Kinetic!

BUY THE AIRNAV RADARBOX NOW, lol RIGHT NOW, GO ON!, lol

Cheers,

Steve R (Newbie)

Paulc

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:40:35 PM »
Also have recently bought radar box - if you want to take it anywhere it is much more portable than an SBS box - that was the clincher for me. It has already been to Amsterdam and later this year will be going to USA & South Africa. 2 friends of mine have SBS's and both (if looking for the same sort of kit now) would go for the radarbox having seem what it offers.

I can only echo what others have said - the support (from air Nav and the other forum menbers) is very good and always willing to listen and answer questions in a positive & friendly manor.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:43:13 AM »
Hi Glyn, welcome to the wonderful world of aircraft flight following by Mode S reception!

If it's any help, I've had an SBS-1 for 2 years and a RadarBox for one year.  The SBS-1 was the first Mode S receiver on the market and the user community is strong and many of the users are very clever people.  I learnt a great deal in that first year and I still am an active member of the SBS-1 forum.  However, I did buy my SBS-1 on the promise of MapModeS - the Kinetic version of the RadarBox Network data - but this has still not been delivered and I doubt now that it ever will.  I got my RadarBox when it seemed that Kinetic had lost interest in developing the hardware and software any further.  In fact, over the last 12 months, Kinetic have issued one minor software upgrade - to give their BaseStation software to logo function that RadarBox already has, and to introduce a network module that allow the SBS-1 to be run as a network device rather than by USB - a function that my SBS-1 has had for almost a year due to a couple of clever people on the SBS-1 forum.

Since I've had my RadarBox, I've only run the SBS-1 to test the BaseStation software update.  It now sits in the corner gathering dust and I don't even have the software on my PC after my last PC rebuild.  AirNav continue to develop RadarBox and they listen to what users want.  Whilst it not always possible to meet everybody's requirements, they are doing a pretty good job.

You can't have missed the fact that I'm discussing the competitor to RadarBox on this forum.  Unlike the Kinetic forum, I will not be threatened by the moderators, nor criticised by other users (well they might pull my leg a bit, but they're a nice lot really!) .  Please ask any questions you like here about either boxes.  At the end of the day the decision on which Mode S box is entirely down to you and if you decide that the SBS-1 is best for you, then we will not give you grief, we'll just feel sorry for you that you will be missing out on all the RadarBox functions - especially the RadarBox Network data :-)

Of course, I am hopelessly biased and you couldn't possibly expect a balanced answer here could you :-)

All the best

Allocator

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 07:59:06 AM »
Okay, I'll add my opinion.

I purchased an SBS-1 in June 2007, and initially was delighted with it.  It then emerged that I'd been misled by Kinetic into believing that MapModeS would be delivered very soon.  I asked questions about this on the Kinetic forums, and got told to stop moaning about it.  Other members asked for me to be banned, etc.....   I even took the case to the ASA ( http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7059 ), who admonished Kinetic about their advertising, and the ASA were assured by Kinetic that they would change their advertising.  Of course they didn't, and Kinetic still advertise MapModeS as a feature of the SBS-1.  It's not.

Anyway, I perservered with my SBS-1, and started using all the addons necessary to get the best out of the SBS-1 - Planeplotter, FD6, GAS Populate, BS Alert, sbsplotter, etc......    But this became a real pain to fire-up all these addons everytime I started Basestation.

Also in June 2007, Airnav offered to take a pre-order from me for a Radarbox, but at the time I decided to go with the SBS-1 instead, as the Airnav product was un-proven.  That was the most expensive mistake I made.

Anyway, in February this year I sold my SBS-1 and bought a Radarbox.  For me, the main advantages the Radarbox have are:

1. It gets aircraft details, photos, routes, etc. automatically from Airnav servers, so no addons needed.

2. The Airnav network has up to 1000 aircraft being shared on it, so I can see aircraft flying around the world.

3. Airnav support is the best.

To provide balance, the SBS-1 has the following advantage - it's £20 cheaper.  I can't honestly think of any other advantage.

GlynH

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys - after reading both manuals it seems to me - on paper at least - the RadarBox is for me.

After my friendly 'inaugaration' into the Kinetic forums it looks like I will be joining the ranks of RadarBox owners sooner than expected!

What a blinkered bunch...

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7288&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Please accept my apologies tarbat - I think I as good as asked you to 'put a sock in it' or something like that over there as I didn't want my thread degenerating into a sparring match...no hard feelings I hope?

I am going to give the RadarBox software a try and compare it to my friends SBS-1/BaseStation setup so expect a few more questions from me soon...

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:16:28 PM by GlynH »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 03:24:31 PM »
No problem Glyn.  Some of the people on the Kinetic forum do manage to "wind-me-up" sometimes, and always want the last word.  No need to apologise!  To be honest, there are a lot of really great people over on the Kinetic forum, but it's spoilt by a few with an anti-Airnav attitude.

Rest assured that any questions you have will get a helpful answer here.

Deadcalm

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »
I've just had a look at your post on the other forum, and the responses you got.  Quite frankly I was shocked.  With the sort of attitudes displayed there, it must send a clear message not to get involved either with the forum or the product.  If your face doesn't fit it would appear that you would be on your own.  Also, the unquestioning and bigoted adoration of that product rather suggests to me that it IS inferior, and that the blind faith is generated by sour grapes, and an envy of those who still have the opportunity to spend their cash on an alternative.
Anyway, welcome here - the RadarBox is good, and even cantankerous old me doesn't get a rough ride at the hands of the other members!

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

bailey_uk

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 06:32:25 PM »
Crikey, just had a nosey at the other forum and doesnt make good reading. Crazy how this forum is completely the other way round.

I hit the BUY NOW button a few hours ago so should be happpy playing by Tuesday afternoon. Cannot wait!

Can anyone give me an idea of the percentage of commercial aircraft traffic is Mode-S and not ADS-B?
Possibly the youngest RadarBox Owner!

Titan

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 07:19:54 PM »
I went to my parents today as my father wanted me to load some add ons to his sbs-1(he is not computer literate, I have been doing this for him for well over a year now) and whilst doing so I went to the SBS-1 forum and I happened to see your post, I must say I am disqusted at the responses you received to your innocent question.
If you do decide to buy a Radarbox then I think it would be a justified finger wagger back at them.
I agonised for weeks over which one to get but chose the Radarbox on the grounds that A) You have the support from the people that actually make it  B)You don't have to download third party add ons to get the best from it and C) The interface and layout suited my needs.
I'm glad to say I didn't make a mistake.
Regards

Steve R

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »
YAY, If your'e like me GlynH I get too impatient waiting for parcels to arrive.

I just checked out the link to the SBS-1 forum as posted above. WOW what a response. I'm so pleased that I purchased the RadarBox and how close I came to buying the SBS-1.

Thank the heavens and all the planes in it that I didn't!

Welcome to the world of RadarBox.

:)

Steve R

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
Bailey - in answer to your earlier question i'm currently getting 90 aircraft on my live list - hitting the "ADS-B Only" button takes this down to 30. I'd say that is sliightly unusual and that the normal daily traffic is about 60% ADS-B.

I'm in Lancashire, UK - it may be that people in higher-density traffic areas in Europe get a higher percentage of ADS-B traffic.

Remember that in other parts of the world, including the USA, ADS-B has yet to really take off (pun intended) and it's only generally intercontinental airliners there that have it - plus Airbuses and modern Boeings. It's only ADS-B traffic that appears on the network, because we can't locate non-ADS-B traffic.

Hope this helps!

Rod
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:39:57 PM by RodBearden »
Rod