anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: linux starter documents?  (Read 1645 times)

ivo

linux starter documents?
« on: October 23, 2023, 11:09:02 PM »

I purchased a USB stick ADSB radar box and antenna.  I connected it to a new ubuntu 22.04 server installation on an x86_64 computer.  (ebay sells old asus chromebox computers for about $50, which seem good for this purpose.). the ubuntu install on the asus device immediately shows up on the /var/log/kern* .

now I need to start installing linux software that reads data from it and interprets it.

1. it is my understanding that dump1090 is the way to start (though there are a few versions of it, and ubuntu itself does not distribute it, but some hobbyists).  alas, the one I tried seems to depend on libraries, header files, etc., that are not standard on ubuntu and do not come with the dump1090 distributions I found.  I don't think the vendor distributes a software starter kit for linux, either.  (I did see that they distribute a feeder to their website.)

2. I then want to keep a record of the airplanes that are flying directly over me.  presumably, I can then take the output of dump1090 and look for records of a particular type.

has anyone put together a document of what needs to be installed in what order and how to interpret the output?  pointers appreciated.

Runway 31

Re: linux starter documents?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 06:42:31 PM »
Ivo

For installing the RB feeder on Linux see https://www.radarbox.com/sharing-data/guide it comes with its own dump 1090

Regarding your other query I am not aware of anyway to do this but then again I dont know Linux

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 02:01:31 AM »
Hi Alan & IVO
The Guide is for RPi (arm CPU) only. Radarbox24 do NOT have any package for installation on x86_64 machines, so the guide you are referring is useless for ivo.

However radarbox feeder can be installed on Linux x86_64 computers through Docker.
https://github.com/sdr-enthusiasts/docker-radarbox
The decoder offered by this Docker site is readsb. However if ivo dont like readsb, he can install dump1090-mutability, which is readily available in Ubuntu 22.04, and can very easily be installed by following command:

sudo apt install dump1090-mutability

Please see screenshot of my Ubuntu 22.04 on x86_64  machine with dump1090-mutability installed by above command.

Click on Screenshot to see larger size.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 02:05:18 AM by abcd567 »

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 09:42:57 AM »
Thanks abc, want aware of the difference

Alan

ivo

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 06:15:51 PM »

thank you.  dump1090-mutability with apt worked beautifully.

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 10:57:41 PM »
@IVO

Glad to know you could install dump1090-mutability and it is working good.

Now you can go to the Docker site I have linked in my previous post and install rbfeeder docker.

Please be careful. They not only offer rbfeeder but also readsb-protobuf. As you have already installed dump1090-mutability, there is no need to install readsb-protobuf. Not only that you dont need it, but installing it will collapse your feed as both readsb and dum1090 will compete for dongle and ports, and there will be a clash, and yor system will become a mess. You should have only ONE of the two decoders installed, either dump1090-mutability or readsb-protobuf.