anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Low message count (whats wrong?)  (Read 1541 times)

koonektid

Low message count (whats wrong?)
« on: December 20, 2022, 10:00:57 PM »
Hi all, ive always had a low overall daily message count compared to other stations near me that have similar range, looking at my station and others im tracking the same planes on the map but i never go over 240,000 messages while the other stations are doing over 1 million daily messages.

I recently placed my whole system in a box and installed it up on my antenna mast feeding it over ethernet to remove coax losses etc, but im still getting the same low message numbers, although my station is working well as far as range is concerned im getting 245NM

What can i do to improve my messages?, should i be looking at changing gain settings etc?

Ive attached a pic of my station mounted outside

Robbie

Runway 31

Re: Low message count (whats wrong?)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 02:13:18 PM »
While you state they are getting 4 times the messages how do you compare in terms of aircraft seen on the map at the same time, your post seems to indicate they are seeing the same number of aircraft as yourself messages does not always equal more aircraft picked up

Where are you located and what is your station number to allow a look at your location to see if there may be topography issues that may impact reception for example are you in a valley compared to the ones you are comparing yourself to, are there hills, trees, buildings etc that may be shielding your antenna reception compared to the comparison stations you are using.  What type of antenna do you use

What type of messages make up the various totals and how do yours compare, ADSB with positions, MLAT, UAT etc is there one message type that is making the difference

Alan
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 02:30:55 PM by Runway 31 »