anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sending Beast Data to Specific IP  (Read 1874 times)

DRojas7105

Sending Beast Data to Specific IP
« on: August 21, 2022, 02:34:52 PM »
Hi

I would like to send the ModeS Beast Data to a specific IP. I know that I can listen to it over certain ports, but if I am trying to setup a multilateration system I expect the geometry of the stations will require that I have them in various locations (networks).

Can you please help to let me know how I can log into the Xrange2 unit and configure a destination IP and port for the ModeS Beast data to go to?

Thanks

Dan

Runway 31

Re: Sending Beast Data to Specific IP
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 06:26:46 PM »
You cant send the data to an xrange as far as I am aware however you should be able to send the Beast data direct to Radarbox

Alan

wiedehopf

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 08:32:05 AM »
You're doing software stuff, so take control of the hardware. (if it's your hardware)
As far as i know it's just an rtl-sdr stick.
So check what operating system you need, put it on an sd-card and put it in.

As for a software stack, check this: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wiki/wiki/Raspbian-Lite:-ADS-B-receiver

readsb has plenty of options to send data in various formats.

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 09:04:00 AM »
wiedehopf

Thanks for the info I always thought that RB had written their own MLAT routines I didnt know they are piggy backing onto ABSB Exchange and getting the MLAT data from them.

I also didnt know that you could send data from a number of receivers to an xrange and use it as an MLAT server.  Is this the reason why FR24 have done away with MLAT.  They state that it is due to bad data but is it the case they are concerned that they are providing data to other trackers or is their a potential for bad data?

Dan

Is it your own xrange or one received free from Airnav their increase coverage

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 10:59:49 AM »
wiedehopf

Thanks for the info I always thought that RB had written their own MLAT routines I didnt know they are piggy backing onto ABSB Exchange and getting the MLAT data from them.

Alan

Alan,

RadarBox is NOT using mlat DATA from Adsbexchange. They use data received from their own feeders and themselves calculate mlat resuts from it. RB is only using the open-source software mlat-server and mlat-client from Adsbexchange's Github Site (https://github.com/adsbxchange/mlat-server).

The Adsbexchange themselves are not original writers of this software. They have forked this software from mutability's Github site (https://github.com/mutability/mlat-server & https://github.com/mutability/mlat-client).

Even Flightaware's mlat-server and fa-mlat-client is forked from mutability's Github site.

Mutability are the original writer of the "mlat-server" and "mlat-client" software.

Flightaware and Flightradar24 also use data from their own feeders, and themselves calculate their mlat results. Nobody is piggy backing on others, except may be some private hobbyists.

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 12:01:04 PM »
Thanks abcd, got it now.  I got confused when the original poster wanted to send data from other receivers into his xrange and then wiedehopfs reply, I picked it all up wrongly

Alan

DRojas7105

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 05:10:21 PM »
Thanks Alan

I'm sorry I was not clear. My goal is to use the Xrange2 as the receiver and the ModeS Beast output from it for my own mlat server (assuming I can position 3-4 more receivers around my desired area of surveillance).

Since the data from the XRange2 needs to go to my AWS server, how do I specify in the XRange2 what IP to send that data to? so it can point to my AWS server.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 05:39:38 PM »
I dont know whether you can do that as the receiver is designed to send its data back to the Airnav server for display on Radarbox and users cannot normally get into its workings, maybe support can advise

Alan
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 05:41:17 PM by Runway 31 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 06:46:22 PM »
@DRojas7105

Better purchase a Raspberry Pi, a RB green dongle (1090 mhz Flight Stick), a microSD card  and a 1090 mhz atenna.

Install Rasberry Pi OS Bullsrye, and a decoder (readsb OR dump1090-fa OR dump090-mutability), and you will have data available st its ports a follows:

Port 30002 -> AVR
Port 30003 -> Baseststion (message)
Port 30005 -> Beast