anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have lost 200 miles on my setup  (Read 3660 times)

thenookorkney

Re: Have lost 200 miles on my setup
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 05:00:17 PM »
I have a radar box and a flightstick, can do a bit of experimenting.

Thank you for that, its frustrating

Kindest regards

Neil

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 01:11:05 AM »
Your Fightstick Amplifier might have failed, Have you got another ads-b Reciever

Good catch Graham. Stick degeneration and Power Supply degeneration ( DC voltage provided by USB port to stick lower than minimum required) can cause all sorts of issues.   

Are you using RB Windows software and the stick is plugged into Windows computer

OR

You are using Raspberry Pi with stick plugged into Raspberry Pi

If you are using Raspberry Pi, then you can check DC voltage issues by following command (no output of command means no issues)

Code: [Select]
sudo dmesg --ctime | grep voltage 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 01:25:03 AM by abcd567 »

thenookorkney

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 09:54:32 AM »
Makes sense to me, I swapped about devices with no visible difference so I am going to connect to a different PC.

I tried yesterday but could not get the 360 radar software to work properly.  Once I get that glitch sorted will watch with interest.

Thank you all

Runway 31

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2022, 05:03:32 PM »
Given that there is no difference between two receivers would lead me to belive that the antenna or the cabling could be the issue

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2022, 03:42:48 PM »
Given that there is no difference between two receivers would lead me to belive that the antenna or the cabling could be the issue

Alan

You are right Alan. After clearing the stick, antenna & coax cable are now prime suspect.

There is one more suspect: RF noise.
A strong RF noise will overload the stick's front end and will make it deaf to the weak signals from distant aircraft, causing reduction in range. The source of RF noise can be either some electrical or electronic appliance within the house, or some RF transmitting antenna outside, but near the house.

@thenookorkney:
Do you remember adding some appliance to your household at the time when your range dropped? HDMI cable are particularly good in radiating RF noise. Also do you remember if any TV or FM or Mobile/Cell phone antenna / tower erected near your house at the time when your range reduced suddenly?

thenookorkney

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2022, 06:11:00 PM »
Well, what do you know.  As if by magic, I have gained 140 miles today.  Numerous aircraft.  Barometer is not particularly high, weather is awful.

Who would know:)

Runway 31

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2022, 06:52:00 PM »
One reason what you are better off not worrying about it.  You got a good couple of spikes out to the west over the sea beyond your normal coverage which will disappear in a week

Alan

thenookorkney

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 08:25:24 AM »
100% the antenna, bought a new one and hey presto.  Did not buy the Airnav one this time but great results.

Runway 31

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2022, 07:22:21 PM »
Glad you got it sorted

Alan

thenookorkney

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2022, 07:43:12 AM »
Thank you for all the feedback, I have hired a cherry picker and going up to check it today.

My 200 miles is back with the new antenna which I bought from Pi Hut

Such a pity the real McCoy from Airnav lasted less than a year but I didnt realise it was failing until too late.

Here is this mornings feed