anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upgrading to the latest RBFeeder 0.4.3 from previous 0.4.2  (Read 2285 times)

GlynH

Upgrading to the latest RBFeeder 0.4.3 from previous 0.4.2
« on: November 13, 2021, 03:57:35 PM »
I'm always a little paranoid and over-cautious when upgrading the Pi running my Virtual Radar setup and so I was wondering exactly what the differences between these two versions are?

Seems to me the small incremental version number would suggest not a huge difference as it's not even a point upgrade but I wanted to ask the question for peace of mind.

Also have AirNav fixed their MLAT bug yet as I don't want to have to start chasing issues after upgrading. The issue I am referring to is the failure of the AirNav version to start after being issued sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder although it does start after a reboot.

I know AirNav are aware of this issue but on previous form I am not confident they care enough to fix it so again I don't want to go chasing issues down after upgrading my feeder Pi.

Finally does the upgrade alter any other config files that may upset my perfectly working, rock stable system after upgrading?

It's just that I also feed FA, FR24 and ADSBxchange from the same Pi and don't want to upset anything. I go through the same anguish when upgrading any of the other feeders or indeed the RPi software itself and so before any upgrade I clone the SD Card to a 'hot spare' plugged into a MicroSD Card->USB3 adaptor in a spare USB port just in case but of course would prefer not to have an issue in the first place!

Did I mention I was paranoid? :)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 10:24:40 PM by GlynH »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
Re: Upgrading to the latest RBFeeder 0.4.3 from previous 0.4.2
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 03:21:43 AM »
(1) The mlat bug has been fixed :)

(2) The ver 0.4.3 has same bug of delayed stoping/restart as ver 0.4.2 had. Both versions takes about 60 sec to stop / restart. This adds 60 seconds to reboot time of the Pi :(

Here is changelog of 0.4.3:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dpkg-parsechangelog -l /usr/share/doc/rbfeeder/changelog.Debian.gz

Source: rbfeeder
Version: 0.4.3-20210909231001
Distribution: stable
Urgency: medium
Maintainer: Joao Antunes <[email protected]>
Timestamp: 1631229248
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 23:14:08 +0000
Changes:
 rbfeeder (0.4.3-20210909231001) stable; urgency=medium
   * Enabled the sharing of ADS-B transponder integrity and accuracy parameters.
   * Interval for sending data to RadarBox servers is now configurable and is set to 1 second by default.
   * The output of the dump1090-rb process can now be saved into a log file.
   * Fixed a bug where the error correction setting was not being forwarded to dump1090-rb.
   * Error correction using CRC is now disabled by default.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:26:53 AM by abcd567 »

GlynH

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply abcd...but I'm still not sure what you mean by;

(2) The ver 0.4.3 has same bug of delayed stoping/restart as ver 0.4.2 had.

Seems to contradict itself the way I read it...

Would you know if there are any config or similar files that might get modified or overwritten?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 07:32:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply abcd...but I'm still not sure what you mean by;

(2) The ver 0.4.3 has same bug of delayed stoping/restart as ver 0.4.2 had.

Seems to contradict itself the way I read it...
By "mlat bug" I mean that in case mlat-client was installed from RB24 repo using command "sudo apt-get install mlat-client", then if rbfeeder was restarted by command "sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder", mlat wont restart, only rbfeeder will start. This was solved by building mlat-client from source code. This bug has been fixed, and mlat-client installed from RB24 repo by command "sudo apt-get install mlat-client" restarts when user restarts rbfeeder.

The other bug was the very long time (about 45 to 60 seconds) rbfeeder takes when user issues a command to stop or restart it, or a sigterm (kill) signal was given by system on reboot. As a result 60 seconds were added to Pi's normal reboot time. This bug still exists.

Would you know if there are any config or similar files that might get modified or overwritten?

The file "/etc/rbfeeder.ini" contains your key, latitude, longitude etc.
This file will be overwritten if you permit. The installer will first ask your permission if to overwrite or to keep existing file (N), and also this option is default. If you choose this option, the file will not be overwritten.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:23:41 PM by abcd567 »