AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raspberry pi 4 or XRANGE  (Read 1686 times)

Aidanwashere

Raspberry pi 4 or XRANGE
« on: May 08, 2021, 09:06:47 PM »
I want to upgrade my raspberry pi 0 station to something bigger. Either xrange,xrange 2 or a raspberry pi zero with dump1090.
Can someone help me out? I would run the same large antenna on any of the systems I’m using I just want some benifits or cons. Thanks in advance.

GlynH

Re: Raspberry pi 4 or XRANGE
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:33:14 PM »
Not wishing to potentially jeopardise sales of XRange I can only speak as one who has already been down this road and I would highly recommend getting your own Raspberry Pi for many reasons some of which are listed below;

1. It works out giving much better performance for less money even if you splashed out on a top spec Pi 4 Model B for example.

2. You will have full, unrestricted access to your own device rather than be completely locked out of something you paid a lot of money for where you wouldn't even have access enough to change your own IP Address!

3. You can install other packages and use it to feed sites in addition to RadarBox such as FR24, FA, ADSBExchange, OpenADSB, OpenSky, PlaneFinder etc.

4. You can install many different packages for other tasks in addition to virtual radar to make best use of your device.

5. You can install other hardware whether that is simply plugging them into any of four USB ports or using the internal GPIO for many different type of HATS. I use the PoE HAT on all of my Pi's for example.

6. You get to learn about Raspberry Pi, Raspbian etc. and in doing so can take an active part in various other forums across the Internet so it widens your horizons immensely. You might even find that VR takes a back seat to some other discovery such as Pi-hole, Home Assistant or a myriad of other apps out there.

7. And so on...

In fact the only thing I can think of in the XRange's favour is it should just simply plug in & work with no configuration if that floats your boat.

At the end of the day it has to be your call but I got into this hobby way back in 2008 with the original RadarBox and the only regret I have about getting my own Raspberry Pi is I didn't do it sooner although YMMV of course...

Hope that helps?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-