AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Must the rbfeeder program on Raspberry Pi be run as root?  (Read 5610 times)

AndreasWarby

• VA2WBT
    • Professional Website
Re: Must the rbfeeder program on Raspberry Pi be run as root?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 11:54:19 PM »
Hi ab cd,

Yes, I read your screenshot at that other link -- very good.  In the screenshot, you wrote "... upload to GitHub", but I imagine you really meant to write "... download from GitHub."  Do I understand that correctly?

All things considered, I'm now pleased to have rbfeeder and mlat-client both working under a simple unprivileged user account on my RPi.

Best regards,
Andreas / VA2WBT
VA2WBT

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 12:45:45 AM »
Hi ab cd,

Yes, I read your screenshot at that other link -- very good.  In the screenshot, you wrote "... upload to GitHub", but I imagine you really meant to write "... download from GitHub."  Do I understand that correctly?

I can understand your misunderstanding as you are not aware of full background.

The full statement should have been "Downloaded from my Github site, the mlat-client packages which I have earlier built from source code and have uploded these in February 2020 to my Github site".

Please see following post. It will clear your misunderstanding.

https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=101771.msg433591#msg433591

AndreasWarby

• VA2WBT
    • Professional Website
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 01:24:24 AM »
OK, yes, I see that there was some extra history that was the context for that screenshot.  The repository that is in the instructions of yours that I found and posted above is now the official 0.2.11 mutability link here: https://github.com/mutability/mlat-client.git

After reinstalling mlat-client as discussed, a subsequent "sudo apt update" suggested that my mlat-client 0.2.11 was in need of an update, but to the same numbered version.  I tried this, but then discovered the RB-specific problem returned, i.e. mlat-client would not start due to START_CLIENT="no" in /etc/default/mlat-client.

To at least fix this temporarily, I renamed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rb24.list to ...rb24.list.disable, which should now prevent the destructive effect of an upgrade.  If anyone has any cleaner or permanent solutions, I'd appreciate learning them.

So, back to the topic of this thread: it would be great if RB could "fix" the using of root, since it seems to be easily feasible (and, while at that, also fix the mlat-client distribution issue that abcd567 has raised long ago).

Best regards,
Andreas / VA2WBT
VA2WBT

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 01:46:54 AM »
After reinstalling mlat-client as discussed, a subsequent "sudo apt update" suggested that my mlat-client 0.2.11 was in need of an update, but to the same numbered version.  I tried this, but then discovered the RB-specific problem returned, i.e. mlat-client would not start due to START_CLIENT="no" in /etc/default/mlat-client.

To at least fix this temporarily, I renamed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rb24.list to ...rb24.list.disable, which should now prevent the destructive effect of an upgrade.  If anyone has any cleaner or permanent solutions, I'd appreciate learning them.

Dont delet or rename anything from apt list or gpg key.
A very easy way to prevent RB24 from replacing mlat-client package you built & installed, by package from RB24 repository during any unattended or intentional update/upgrade is to issue following command:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-mark hold mlat-client 

If your built & installed mlat-client has already been replaced by the one from RB24 repository, purge it out:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get purge mlat-client

## now install again the package you have already built

sudo dpkg -i mlat-client_*.deb 

## now mark your package on hold so that it is not again replaced

sudo apt-mark hold mlat-client 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 02:03:26 AM by abcd567 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 03:14:59 AM »
The repository that is in the instructions of yours that I found and posted above is now the official 0.2.11 mutability link here: https://github.com/mutability/mlat-client.git

The mutability's above noted github repository is not a "Full" repository as it does not have any pre-built packages, nor it has any gpg key to add it to RPi's local apt lists. It hosts only source code.

This source code is downloaded to RPi by command "git clone https://github.com/mutability/mlat-client.git". One has then to build mlat-client package locally on his RPi by command "sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc",then install it by command "sudo dpkg -i mlat-client_*.deb".

The RB24 has built their mlat-client package using above source code (possibily customized by RB24) and hosted in their repository alongwith rbfeeder package.

The rbfeeder's install script adds gpg key and file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rb24.list to RPi. Once this is done both the rbfeeder and mlat-client are downloaded and installed fro RB24 repository by commands "sudo apt-get install rbfeeder" and "sudo apt-get install mlat-client".

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 03:34:15 AM by abcd567 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 05:33:05 AM »
On my github site, no source code is hosted, but it does host packages built from source code of mutability. It also has scripts to automatically download & install these packages, and a README.md file containing how-to.

To see the .deb packages which I have uploaded on my github site, go to this url

https://github.com/abcd567a/mlat-client-package/releases

Click "Assets" to expand it, and it will show the packages I have upliaded. Click any one, and it will be downloaded.

Please see attached screenshot.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 05:37:08 AM by abcd567 »

AndreasWarby

• VA2WBT
    • Professional Website
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 11:19:59 AM »
Thanks very much for those tips!  I've taken your advice and have done "sudo apt-mark hold mlat-client" to prevent inadvertent damage to my setup during future upgrading.
VA2WBT