AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some advice please  (Read 1836 times)

Rural Outpost

• Still waiting to pick up a DAN AIR HS748 !
Some advice please
« on: February 23, 2021, 01:22:43 PM »
I am using my original RB1 and noticed that I don't appear to be picking up much traffic, even when flying within view. I don't appear to be picking anything up over 7 miles. I am using version 6.02.003 and have just completed a database update. On a separate note I am looking to update my basic aerial. Is the Airnav ADS-B 1090 outdoor antenna priced at #69 any worse than the one priced at #79?  Any advice very much appreciated.

Runway 31

Re: Some advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
Hi

I have been on the UK Amazon shop and cant see any at the price you indicate

There is this one at £59 https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirNav-ADS-B-Outdoor-antenna-connector/dp/B07K7YW1XJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

This one at £69 is the same but with an Airnav flightstick which replaces the box https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirNav-ADS-B-Outdoor-antenna-connector/dp/B07K7YW1XJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Both are the same antenna though

The question to be asked is it the antenna or the receiver which may be duff?

Alan

Rural Outpost

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 01:51:44 PM »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the info re the antenna. Are you aware of an update for the software that may fix the issue?

Cheers

Shawn

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 02:12:37 PM »
Hi Shawn

If its the box that is causing the problem a firmware update will not cure it.

The only way of knowing for sure it to try an antenna and you will find out.  You could maybe make one yourself, there are planty of designs on the web indeed there are some on the forum that can be made cheaply and easily and give decent coverage, see https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=9131.msg134151#msg134151

The dearer one with the Flightstick would cover both bases as if the new antenna doesnt cure the issue the stick that comes with it would be able to replace the box giving better coverage at a fraction of the cost of the original box

Alan

Rural Outpost

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 03:18:10 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thank you for the advice.

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 03:34:00 PM »
Let us know the outcome Shawn, whats your box number?

Alan

Rural Outpost

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 01:41:10 PM »
Hi Alan,

The aerial arrived today and with it the box is working well. I am now picking up aircraft much further away than with the previous aerial. I now need to identify how to attach the aerial to my guttering and be able to then pack away when not I use. Disappointingly the green plastic bag that the aerial came in is torn. Do you have a phone number for radarbox so I can request a replacement bag?

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 05:13:17 PM »
Glad your issue is resolved Shawn

Do you means the wrapping bag?? Guess the delivery guys are not very good at their job but i would suggest the bag its to protect the contents en-route

I dont have a number but suggest that you contact support but I cant see them sending a plastic bag but you never know

Alan
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:26:13 PM by Runway 31 »