anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rb & raspi why so difficult to get working  (Read 7137 times)

thechipman0

Rb & raspi why so difficult to get working
« on: January 21, 2021, 06:35:30 PM »
I have been running my radarbox micro on raspi for about 2 weeks now. After the initial set up it ran online but was not sending any ìnfo to rb, after a lot of help from you guys I eventually got it to work. The coverage was bad at 61nm so the other day decided to put antenna on roof, this actually never increased coverage?? but then realised that although online again not sending any info. Now suddenly it has gone offline and it seems no matter what I try it won't go back online. I know that I'm not the best person with technology but I just don't know where to go from here. I'm running rpi buster my station is EXTRPI020882  ps I have tried most fixes in forums but keep seeing different methods so not sure if I'm making it harder to fix or what. All I want is a complete installation rundown with instructions on deleting what I have already done. A lot to ask I know but I'm getting desperate now.
Steve

Runway 31

Re: Rb & raspi why so difficult to get working
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »
Hve you tried following this guide https://www.radarbox.com/raspberry-pi/guide

I suggest you copy and paste instead of typing as it is very easy for mistakes to creep in

Alan
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:59:07 PM by Runway 31 »

thechipman0

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 07:16:40 PM »
Hi thanks, I have done this at least 5 times today with no luck. I have a photo copy so I know that I am inputing correctly. It is a we bit confusing with different instructions ie 2a 2b 2c 2d etc etc I cant work out what abcd to use. It says rtl dongle or rb software but don't mention the actual rbmicro so never know if I'm doing it right.

markr468

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 08:27:15 PM »
You are online and sending data right now. Checking around, there are not a lot of aircraft in the air around you.

1) What is the output of the following command?

Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl status rbfeeder
2) Are you using the original antenna and cable that came with the Micro RadarBox?

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 09:19:52 PM »
Steve

RTL dongle and microradarbox are one and the same thing
As Mark advised you are now online and showing aircraft so it looks like you have worked it out, well done

Alan
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:22:21 PM by Runway 31 »

thechipman0

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 09:26:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for help and suggestions, I think I have cure it. My sharing key has os capital Os and 0 zeros was just a matter of working out which was which. I don't think they should put letters or zeros in the key as it can get very confusing.
Thanks again
Steve

Runway 31

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:28:50 PM »
Well done Steve as I stated cut and paste, dont type, but you got there through perseverence.

Alan
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:31:12 PM by Runway 31 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 08:25:28 PM »
There are lot of flights within 200nm from your location, but your station receives only very few.

Which antenna are you using, the whip supplied with "Micro RadarBox"?
You need to use a better antenna, place it on the roof, and use a good (low loss) coax between antenna and Dongle (MicroRadarBox).

Runway 31

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 08:30:14 PM »
He uses a home made antenna

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 08:52:09 PM »
He uses a home made antenna

Alan

Which one? Home made antennas often perform poor, particularly the CoCo (coaxial collinear) if made by a hobbyist inexperienced in antenna making.

There are some antennas which perforform good even when made by an inexperienced hobbyist. These are all variants of the "1/4 wavelength with ground plane" .

Please brows this thread:
3 EASY DIY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

Try these

(1) Cantenna

(2) Handy Spider (aka Quick Spider)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:02:44 PM by abcd567 »

thechipman0

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
Thanks for the comments regarding antenna, yes it is a homemade coco, perhaps I should just bite the bullet and buy one. It is on my roof but obviously not made well enough.
Cheers guys
Steve

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 08:58:06 PM »
Thanks for the comments regarding antenna, yes it is a homemade coco, perhaps I should just bite the bullet and buy one. It is on my roof but obviously not made well enough.
Cheers guys
Steve

Coco is easy to make, but hard to get right.

Before you go ahead with purchasing a commercial antenna Like AirNav, or JetVision, or Flightaware, just make a Handy Spider (aka Quick Spider). It is easy to make and  does not require any connector except a F-male and a pigtail F-female to mcx to connect to MicroRadarBox Dongle. It can be build by ONE meter of RG6 or similar coax, no soldering required.

Replace your Coco by Handy/Quick Spider, and you will see substantial improvement. When you get your commercial antenna, you will get further improvement over Handy/Quick Spider.

Alternatively you can make Cantenna, which is also very easy, and will prove better than your Coco which is obviously not good.

Handy Spider:
https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=9131.msg134171#msg134171

Cantenna:  https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=9131.msg134151#msg134151

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:07:12 PM by abcd567 »

thechipman0

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 10:32:24 AM »
Thank for that, I will make one today and see how it goes. I do have a radarbox one on order but I can always send it back if one of these work. Would they be okay in the loft?
Steve

thechipman0

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 05:01:42 PM »
Update
Well I made the easy spider and I was amazed at the difference, I went from 61nm to 237nm amazing. Although my areal is situated outside on the roof i was not getting many aircraft below 4200ft at Heathrow and 200ft at Gatwick shame as i was hoping to see to ground. I had a Radarbox areal already on order so whe it arrived I thought put it up and see what happens. Well I lost total cover eventually going offline, I cant see that it would make me go offline but something did. Complete reinstall of operating system  and reinstall of RB has solved the problem, but my coverage is the same but not seeing so many aircraft. I think its time to just leave it alone and let it run.

Runway 31

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 05:21:54 PM »
You are showing decent coverage,dont know which antenna that was with though ans have no idea what would result on you going offline

Given you are at Ramsgate about 80 miles away from Gatwick and 100 miles to Gatwick I cant say I am surprised you cant see aircraft on the ground at either airport.  ADSB works with line of sight so if you cant see the airport neither can the antenna and with the horizon at around 30 miles at ground level the antenna wont be able to see aircraft on the ground at either airport

Alan