AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rbfeeder non-standard dump1090?  (Read 10160 times)

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
Re: rbfeeder non-standard dump1090?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2020, 07:03:38 PM »
IMPORTANT:
I have noted an error in this line:
mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --results beast,listen,30104

It should be
mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --results beast,connect,127.0.0.1:30104

EXPLANATION:
The dump1090 already uses port 30104 to "listen".
As only one software can use any port to "listen", if RB24 feeder mlat-client is also configured to "listen" to same port, it will cause conflict and failure of one of the two: either dump1090 or mlat-client.

Even when port 30104 is blocked by dump1090 for "listen', it is available for connection by multiple other software using "connect". That is what is done in the correct command.

GlynH

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2020, 08:12:59 PM »
And I knew I shouldn't have messed with a working system.

I altered the file as you suggested above, rebooted the Pi and it won't boot!

I put I an older SD Card and it now boots but not feeding RB24 or FR24.

I have put the original SD Card in another Pi and taken a look in /etc/default but don't see rbfeeder.ini in there so I must have deleted it?

Would that stop the Pi from booting?

I now need to see if I have another copy of rbfeeder.ini kicking around and try to copy it to the original SD Card and see if that fixes it.

-=Glyn=-

*UPDATE* Actually there is an rbfeeder.ini in /etc/ although I notice that has the original line referencing python3.5 where I had modified mine to read python3.7 at some point.

HELP!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 08:59:22 PM by GlynH »

GlynH

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2020, 09:46:28 PM »
OK what I had to do was use the SD Card backup I took before I installed dump1090-mutability so at least I have a working system again albeit using rbfeeder and its built-in dump1090

I'm just in the process of updating the system as its found 69 files to update since I took the backup.

Then assuming all is OK I think I might just backup this working system to another SD Card so it should be easy to roll back should I need it in the future.

Then I'll work through this thread to install dump1090-mutability and alter rbfeeder.ini to reflect the changes then hopefully I should be back to where I started from earlier this evening!

I can't remember what else I might have altered in the weeks since I took the last backup so I'm hoping it was only the usual Raspberry Pi updates.

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as I need to install dump1090 again - should I go for -mutability once again or -fa / readsb as I was advised on another forum that the former is unmaintained?

If I need to change then this seems to be as good a time as any...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 11:57:11 PM »
The Map of dump1090-fa is more beautiful and has more features than map of dump1090-mutability.

Engine (receiver-decoder) wise currently both are more or less same. However in future versions of FA, there may be improvements in the engine as well.

You can install dump1090-fa instead of dump1090-mutability if you want.
To install dump1090-fa, give following commands

Code: [Select]
wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_4.0_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_4.0_all.deb

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa

sudo reboot

NOTE:
With dump1090-fa, the configuration of rbfeeder and fr24feed are identical to those advised earlier with dump1090-mutability.

I would recommend to use a spare microSD card and follow procedure below:

Bake a Pi - OPTION-2 (CLICK HERE)
- Raspbian Lite image
- dump1090-fa
- Radarbox24 data feeder
- Additional data feeders.

Flow Chart

Default Config (Without Mlat)

Config Mlat Enabled

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:13:24 AM by abcd567 »

GlynH

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2020, 04:21:53 PM »
Thanks again abcd.

I won't go with the Raspbian Lite image as I already have a fully working, setup & configured Pi from a standard setup I made some time ago running rbfeeder & FR24 so I'll just go through the process like last time but with -fa instead of -mutability this time round.

I guess I should amend the;

#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client

shown in the screenshot above to read;

mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --results beast,connect,127.0.0.1:30104

as per your post above?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2020, 05:02:54 PM »
I guess I should amend the;

#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client

shown in the screenshot above to read;

as per your post above?

The command "mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client" with correct python version 3.7 is built into rbfeeder. That is why by default in the file /etc/rbfeeder.ini it is commented out (starts with #) and is therefore ineffective. In nano any line starting with # appears blue to highlight at a glance that it is commented out and is ineffective.

When rbfeeder is started, the builtin correct command executes automatically, provided you have removed # from start of line "#autostart_mlat=true" (in nano this line will change its color from blue to white when # is removed)

Leave the line "#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client" as is. Since it is commented-out, in nano it will show blue color. Let it stay blue colored.

In case you want to over-rule builtin command and use a custom command with additional parameter such as "--results beast,connect,127.0.0.1:30104" (for feeding results to dump1090 fa or mutability), you have to use "mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --results beast,connect,127.0.0.1:30104". Since you want it to execute, there should be no # at its start (the line will show white color in nano).

In case the custom command gives issues, simply make it ineffective by placing a # at it's start. Upon placing a # at start of line, it's color will turn blue in nano confirming that it is commented-out and is ineffective.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 05:11:14 PM by abcd567 »

GlynH

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »
So once again with your help abcd I seem to have muddled through and successfully installed dump1090-fa and figured out that the url to view the maps is now Pi_IP/dump1090-fa instead of the previous Pi_IP/dump1090-mutability/gmap.html - does that sound right?

The thing is though when I open the Skyview map view (you are right the maps are much nicer) my location and range rings are not showing despite being toggled on under Settings. Is this something that only appears after it has been running a while or should it as I expect show up straight away?

Interestingly when I type sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa it shows the gain is already set to -10 which saves me doing it!

But if I wanted to check or make any changes to the config how best to do it please?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 06:14:12 PM by GlynH »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
When you add latitude and longitude to config file, it sets location of receiver (i.e. center of rings), which in turn enables dump1090 to plot the rings.

In dump 1090-mutability you added lat & lon when you ran command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability". With dump1090-fa, this command is not available and you have to add your lat & lon by editing file /etc/default/dump1090-fa.

sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa

Scroll down to following line

RECEIVER_OPTIONS="--device-index 0 --gain -10 --ppm 0"

Add you latitude & longitude, so that the line becomes like this

RECEIVER_OPTIONS="--device-index 0 --gain -10  --lat xx.xxxx --lon yy.yyyy --ppm 0"

(Replace xx.xxx and yy.yyyy by their actual values)

Save file (Ctrl+O) and close editor (Ctrl+x)

Restart dump1090-fa

sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa

Ring should appear after restart. If they dont appear, clear browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Delete) and reload browser (Ctrl+F5).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:52:08 PM by abcd567 »

GlynH

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »
Yup...that worked! You're a star abcd!

I did input my lat/lon to 6 decimal places and that was reflected when I typed sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa so that seemed to work.

The rings were then displayed at 100, 150 & 200 miles but to match what is displayed in RadarBox I edited /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/config.js to add rings at 50 & 250 miles;

DefaultSiteCirclesCount =5; (was 3)
DefaultSiteCirclesBaseDistance = 50; (was 100)

So I'm going to sit back and enjoy it while it lasts...I'll let the dust settle now that everything seems to be working so hopefully no more questions on this particular subject from me for a while.

Famous last words...:)

Thanks very much again for sharing your knowledge and your patience abcd...I wouldn't have made it this far without your help.

-=Glyn=-

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2020, 12:31:55 AM »
Next Enhancement:

Click the link below. On the page opened, scroll down to following item, and implement it.

(8) ADD TERRAIN LIMIT RINGS

https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=10201.msg187851#msg187851

GlynH

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2020, 12:56:52 AM »
Stop teasing abcd...I've already said I'm going to sit back & enjoy it and now you're finding me more mods to do! :)

I haven't seen what the terrain enhancement looks like but I like the map I see and wouldn't want to clutter it up nor would I want to break my Pi again!

Due to that short 2 hour outage last night I've already slipped 66 places down the Global ranking and gone from 6 to 13 in the UK ranking.

Won't stop me looking for enhancements though so I'm always open to suggestions...:)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:25:19 AM by GlynH »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 03:24:53 AM »
If you are not in a mood to do any more mods, it is ok and fair, dont do it. However I will suggest that when you have some spare time, just brows it to see what it is.

I will also recommend that you brows the post What is the Maximum Range I Can Get?. The procedure given in this post does NOT involve any modification to your  RPi. In fact even if you dont have any RPi or any other ADS-B receiver, still you can plot your maximum theoretical range curve on a map by this method.

GlynH

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 02:30:39 PM »
I have already seen both the Terrain & Maximum Range website some time ago but as I live on a hill and my own range has hovered between 250-300 miles in the last 12 years I don't have much motivation to plot it theoretically! :)

Always on the lookout for something newer, faster, better though...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

GlynH

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2020, 03:26:10 PM »
Well my moratorium on enhancements didn't last long!

Although I had seen it before I just installed wiedehopf's graphs for use with dump1090-fa and like what I see...thanks wiedehopf.

Now if I only knew how to use them to my advantage to optimise gain etc. :)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-