anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi & rbfeeder questions?  (Read 2837 times)

GlynH

Raspberry Pi & rbfeeder questions?
« on: November 05, 2020, 06:54:14 PM »
So I am really enjoying the Raspberry Pi 4 running rbfeeder under Buster and it has given me a new lease of life with regard to the hobby.

However most things Pi are still a mystery to me.

For example are there any additional commands for rbfeeder other than those found by typing rbfeeder --help?

I see reference to external commands such as systemctl status rbfeeder but are there other commands available to look a little deeper into what is going on?

What file on the Pi is responsible for auto-starting rbfeeder at boot time?

I can see the /etc/rbfeeder.ini file and that sort of makes sense but what other config files (if any) might have a bearing on rbfeeder?

How do I know what version of dump1090 was installed from rbfeeder - fa or mutability?

Does the usual sudo apt update and full-upgrade keep rbfeeder, dump1090 etc. up to date or do I have to do this separately?

I blindly installed it and all seemed to go well (more luck than judgement) but was anything else installed along with it such as graphs, maps etc. not that I want them (I don't) but just trying to learn a little more about what was installed and what is going on.

And do any of you here feed other sites apart from RB24 such as FR24, FA, PF, PP, ADSBExchange, ADSBHub, OpenSky etc?

I'm particularly interested in FR24 as I would like to feed them also but don't want to screw up a perfect working system feeding RB24 so am a little nervous about installing anything else!

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to get my head around everything...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

GlynH

Re: Raspberry Pi & rbfeeder questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:58:53 PM »
Well I finally got round to installing fr24feed earlier this afternoon and am happy to report that both feeds are working as expected. Phew!

I’m asking too many questions I know...I know. So here’s a couple more! :)

1. Is there a LAN interface to rbfeeder similar to the one in fr24feed? With fr24feed I can open a browser and type RaspberryPi_IP Address:8754 and see a status page. I also read somewhere that there is a status page for XRange accessed from a web browser by typing http://anrbXXXXXX where XXXXXX is the serial number of the XRange device and was wondering if there was something similar when using rbfeeder with AirNav 1090 FlightStick that I could hit by specifying a port number?

2. Following on from my original post above I use an app on the iPhone called Simple-Pi that allows me to carry out some simple tasks using a pre-saved command line to query such things as;

Version (apt policy rbfeeder)
Status (systemctl status rbfeeder)
Update (sudo apt install rbfeeder)
Restart (sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder)

The obvious one missing from there is a command to pause/halt/stop or otherwise unload rbfeeder for whatever reason and so I was wondering if there was a command that was available to do just that?

Oh and still looking for any other commands that I can play around with...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:02:50 PM by GlynH »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 12:42:42 AM »
To Stop rbfeeder:
sudo systemctl stop rbfeeder 

Stopping by above command remains in effect till the RPi is rebooted. At reboot rbfeeder will start again.

To stop rbfeeder permanently so that it does not start at reboot, it has to be disabled also:
sudo systemctl stop rbfeeder   
sudo systemctl disable rbfeeder   

To re-enable at any stage later:
sudo systemctl enable rbfeeder 
sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:55:30 AM by abcd567 »

GlynH

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 02:05:43 AM »
Yup...it really was as simple as that wasn’t it?

<blush>

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-