anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi/FlightStick sharing question?  (Read 2562 times)

GlynH

Raspberry Pi/FlightStick sharing question?
« on: October 12, 2020, 06:23:14 PM »
Hi there,

I have an RPi running Pi-hole and a spare one sitting in its box which I might pressgang into service as a feeder.

I notice from reading posts on this subject that to start feeding you need to 'Claim' your Sharing key;

----------snip----------
Our system works by using a sharing key. This key identifies your station and is present in the packets that are sent to our servers. When you first run our software on your raspberry pi, your sharing key is automatically created and is saved in a configuration file. If you already have a sharing key from a previous installation, you can change the configuration file and save it with your key. That way you won't lose your sharing history. Each installation should have a unique sharing key.
----------snip----------

Now I did feed RB24 for a few days with my old RadarBox and wondered if I could link the RPi/FlightStick to this same account or whether I would have to start over again?

Also is it possible to use the latest RadarBox v6.02.003 to connect to the RPi by IP address and view the contacts I can 'see' from my location just as if I was connected via USB to my RadarBox?

Thats always been the main interest for me as I'm not much interested in viewing network flights although I would like to participate in feeding it.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Runway 31

Re: Raspberry Pi/FlightStick sharing question?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
I know nothing of Pi's but as far as I am aware you can run V6.00.03 with your Pi using the method you detail.  You can have a number of receivers with your account, no idea how you do it but support can advise.

Alan

GlynH

Re: Raspberry Pi/FlightStick sharing question?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »
Just to follow up on this for anyone else who may tread this path in the future I can answer my own questions now having lived with a Raspberry Pi/FlightStick combo for a couple of days;

1. No. Moving away from the original RadarBox on to the Pi means you have to lose your existing station data and start afresh. There is no way to merge accounts between different device types unlike substituting a RadarBox for another RadarBox apparently.
After registering the new device type you will have both new & old stations appearing in your MyStation tab and will have to contact support to remove the old one if will no longer be using it.

2. Yes. You can use RadarBox software 6.02.003 to connect directly to your Pi by its IP address and the software will pretty much continue to work as it always did with the original USB RadarBox but with the following huge advantage IMHO.

It now becomes Multi-Client aware so for example I can use my PC to run the RadarBox software as I have always done (has to be 6.02.003 so you can input the IP address in Preferences although that version introduces its own bugs) and by running Parallels (I guess Fusion/Bootcamp also) you can run 6.02.003 on your Mac under PC emulation and connect to the Pi all at the same time. As I type this on my laptop I also have the RadarBox software running on it along with my iMac, MacBook Air & MacBook Pro while feeding the RadarBox network concurrently.

All this from a small, self-contained device about the same size as a pack of cigarettes connected to a single PoE ethernet cable in the far corner of my loft dangling on the short coaxial cable from the 1090MHz antenna.

I've been wanting to do this since 2008!

Other advantages as I see them;
1. Cheap!
2. Full control over the Pi unlike other hardware such as RadarBox or XRange.
3. No need to tie up or dedicate a full-blown PC to the task.
4. Freedom from being tethered by the length of a USB cable to the device.
5. Solid, stable & reliable. So far. Although its early days yet.
6. Seems to perform a little better than my old RadarBox.
7. Simple PoE device operation.
8. Relatively straightforward to share your data & feed other sites should you want to.

The only downside seems to be...why didn't I do this earlier? :)

-=Glyn=-