AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox XRANGE home location setting  (Read 2759 times)

aps

Radarbox XRANGE home location setting
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
Can anyone advise how id set my home location on the xrange box , im led to believe you do it from your home page, but i cannot figure out how and where you do it !
I dont think im being stupid , theres no way to do it as far as i can see.
It currently shows me as between 50-80miles away from my actual location . and it moves.
ANY help would be great , a reply from support advised me to do it from the home screen. but that was it !!
attached is a shot of my home sreen . please tell me  ?
many thanks in advance :)

aps

Re: Radarbox XRANGE home location setting
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:49:54 AM »
Now sorted via support

Runway 31

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 07:57:26 AM »
I will restate the information given on the other thread last night

1.  Contact [email protected] and ask them to link your receiver to your account.  You will need to advise them of the email address used to log into your account along with your receiver PGANRB***** number

2 Log into your account

3 Open up your Station page

4 Click on Edit or Click here to edit your location as appropriate for your circumstances

5 On the window that opens add your exact LAT/LON in decimal, press Exact Location then preview and on the next page I believe your altitude is requested but go with what is given.  You will note that for privacy reasons it states Your exact location will not be made available to the public.

Alan

GlynH

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 12:09:23 AM »
I have just read your reply to aps Alan with particular interest in 5. above which leads me on to my question if I may;

When I setup rbfeeder I input my exact Lat/Lon/Antenna height but when I open rbfeeder.ini I notice all of the info is slightly off what I entered?

Its not much - for example;

lat input was x.0566 but the file shows x.056438
lon input was x.3574 but the file shows x.357253
alt input was 150m but the file shows 147m

I mean things are only slightly out but I understand a precise location is important for MLAT and I was wondering whether I should modify rbfeeder.ini to reflect the true positions that I originally entered or whether RadarBox purposely offsets the location during setup maybe to prevent the actual location being deduced?

Actually thinking about the coordinates I only input them to 4 decimal places but the file shows 6 decimal place resolution so maybe some rounding down being applied?

Not the greatest problem in the world but curious and just wondered why the settings don't reflect what I typed in the first place?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 12:29:27 AM by GlynH »

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 10:15:14 AM »
Morning Glyn, did you check that the image was set to the correct position when you set the lat & lon?
Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

GlynH

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:35:28 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Dave.

Yeah the location looked about right to me I was just wondering why the numbers listed didn’t match the ones I typed in?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
With lockdown there is plenty of time, no problem at all.
If you zoom in when you set your location you might get it spot on, I can put mine right on the chimney.
Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

GlynH

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
Ha yeah...tell me about it. It’s probably why I’m sweating about the minor discrepancy in the first place!

Sounds like a quote from the Gulf War regarding a cruise missile Dave! :)

I guess whichever way is close enough although my plan is to go outside, stand under the antenna pole and run a couple of GPS Apps and see what numbers they come up with to 6 decimal places!

I’ve already stood underneath with a laser measure only to find the configuration file has shaved 3m off the antenna height!

Talking of which I’ve spent so long in lockdown & self isolating I think it’s me that needs to shave more off...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

GlynH

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »
So I've just been out with the GPS App, saved a screenshot and input that into the Edit in its respective place on the MyStation page and looked on the map to confirm before I saved it.

It actually placed me in the next semi-block down so I moved the map until the blue dot was directly on top of my antenna, saved the position and input the height of my antenna above the ground to give an effective height asl.

The indicated accuracy on the GPS App was showing as 5m so I guess it's as close as a cruise missile would be targeted to minimise collateral damage and now the rbfeeder.ini config file on the RPi has been updated to the same lat/lon/alt as was showing on the map which is a little different to that shown on the iPhone although not enough to make a difference IMHO.

All good!

-=Glyn=-

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »
I find the easiest way is to use Google earth to get the location exact

Alan