AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improving coverage  (Read 2222 times)

Kiwi in Oz

Improving coverage
« on: October 01, 2020, 06:34:56 AM »
Hi team,

Question for you all, other than increasing height of the antenna (its already 85m above sea level and 3m above our roof - if I go higher my wife may divorce me) is it possible to increase the coverage of the unit? currently running XRange2 with a 10m coax - supplied with the unit.

https://www.radarbox.com/stations/PGANRB500716

thanks
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 06:50:16 AM by Kiwi in Oz »

Runway 31

Re: Improving coverage
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »
Hi

At 302 miles I doubt that you will be able to get much further.  The antenna works by line of sight and about the only way you would get further reception is if the aircraft flew higher

I note however that your reception is not so good to the west, is there an obstruction, trees, hills, high buildings etc limiting your reception on that side

Alan
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:39:07 AM by Runway 31 »

Kiwi in Oz

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:00:29 AM »
Hi Alan and thanks for the quick reply :)
Yes there is a hill directly to my west which I would probably need about another 100m in height to see over the top of - I cant see the boss agreeing to that ;)
If I was able to half the length of the coax to 5m would that improve the quality of reception or make any noticeable difference?

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »
In theory yes you would have less loss but at 302 miles you are I suspect at the edge of your range limitations and it would make no difference. 

The antenna works by line of sight so requires to see the aircraft in question but due to the curvature of the earth 250 miles or so is typically the maximum range to be expected from an antenna at sea level.  Differing weather patterns can see this maximum slightly extended or reduced, high pressure usually means longer range being received.  Your 302 miles is therefore around the maximum to be expected.

An antenna sited at a higher altitudes for example on the top of a large hill / up a mountain will have a greater range as the horizon effect will mean that its horizon will be further away than a receiver at sea level.

Alan
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:54:38 AM by Runway 31 »