AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Xrange vs. Xrange2  (Read 3594 times)

dor4x

Xrange vs. Xrange2
« on: September 12, 2020, 08:04:39 AM »
Hi
What's new in the Xrange2 vs Xrange
Thanks

Runway 31

Re: Xrange vs. Xrange2
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »
As far as I am aware it has a new board, new filters, new amplifier and new 1090 MHz optimized ADS-B antenna plus I believe it can also accommodate a USB stick for VHF

Alan

dor4x

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 05:47:25 PM »
Thanks

GlynH

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 10:52:47 PM »
Its OK saying its got a new board, filters, amplifier but do we know what exactly they bring to the party?

It is called 2 Enhanced and I was curious just what the improvements might be over the previous generation apart from the ability to add a USB stick for VHF reception maybe?

More sensitivity, better range, more resistant to front end overload/ESD, more powerful/faster etc?

It looks to be a bigger box from the pictures/video I have seen although this can be very misleading.

I notice the earlier XRange has GPS screen printed on the case and yet on the XRange 2 Enhanced it does not...not that I could see anyway and there appears to be another symbol missing on the newer device also.

Have any features of the earlier box been taken away I wonder?

And why PoE in this day & age...such an advantage when installing especially when there is no power close by.

I'm also left wondering if there might be an easy way to wall mount it? Keyhole slots, mounting feet/hardware/bracket etc?

Curious what the real-world differences are between old & new...sorry for all the questions but information seems scarce out there...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 05:16:55 PM »
I wouldnt know as i have neither.  I would rather spend a lot less money and get a Flightstick for around £15 as it does the same thing

Some of your questions are easy though, nothing has been taken away only the existing stuff has been improved how, I have no idea before you ask.  It still has GPS which is in the antenna again nothing changed there.  Have seen photos on the receivers wall mounted.  It is wifi capable as well

Maybe support can answer your specific questions if you are considering purchasing an xrange2 as they should have its technical details

Alan

GlynH

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Alan.

It's probably a bit late for me to ask as it's due to arrive tomorrow!

There seems to be a complete dearth of information available on the Internet and I couldn't even find a manual for it which may have been able to answer at least some of my questions.

Also the GPS receiving bit could be problematical for me as I have an existing Watson antenna that I plan to use which is vanilla 1090 with no GPS receiving capability unless the GPS receiver in the box just taps off the main antenna feed. The carrier frequencies are not a million away from 1090MHz in the grand scheme of things I suppose.

As for doing the same thing with a Flightstick that would mean dedicating a computer of some description to it which I would rather not do with all the software problems, maintenance & resource associated with that.

The dream of a fit & forget standalone box sat on the network that I can access locally has been with me since I purchased my first RB way back in 2008.

I'm also struggling with a PoE splitter because its not built-in but none of them have a mini USB outlet that I can see. DC power jack, USB A/C and Micro USB but not Mini USB it would seem.

I guess one with USB Type A female which I could plug in a USB A Male to Mini USB is the best I can do but I hate to use a hotch-potch of connectors and lengths of cable instead of a single lead designed for the job.

Comes from my time as a Sound Engineer when I would go to great lengths to ensure I had no adaptors anywhere to cause problems I guess!

Ah well...can't win 'em all!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

biffa18

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »
how you finding it as thinking of getting a stand alone ?

GlynH

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 03:37:20 PM »
Sorry biffa18 I've only just seen this.

Honest answer? I can't answer your question I'm afraid as I sent it back without ever using it!

A couple of things from my own perspective;

1. The case was marked for Antenna 2 in addition to Antenna 1 (1090MHz) which appears to be for a VHF Airband antenna and I didn't like the idea that the option appears to have been removed for use here in the UK. I get that it is technically illegal to listen to ATC here but I've been doing that for over 40 years with various radios and was disappointed that the option has been taken away.

2. I didn't realise that once it is on my network I have no access to the device to even do simple things like change to a static IP Address for example and just wasn't comfortable with leaving it open to 3rd party access only. After 30+years in IT I have never (knowingly) given any 3rd party access to my network despite many legitimate requests and wasn't comfortable with it.

Also I really wanted to be able to utilise PoE which could have been implemented with a PoE Splitter using a Micro USB connection (not Mini USB as in the original XRange or as I mentioned above) but I am going to use a Raspberry Pi 4/4GB with a FlightStick and VHF FlightStick along with a PoE HAT as that way I get a smaller/cheaper and far more flexible device on the end of a single CTA6 cable and have complete control over my own device on my own network.

YMMV of course.

Hope that helps?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 03:48:06 PM by GlynH »