anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rasp pi feeding multiple sites  (Read 4313 times)

SWIFTAL51

rasp pi feeding multiple sites
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:47:39 AM »
I'm running Piaware and Adsb Exchange on Rasp Pi I,ve just added rbfeeder how do I get  key from pi@piaware:~$ prompt

Runway 31

Re: rasp pi feeding multiple sites
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »
I don't have any knowledge of Pi's but while waiting on someone like abcd567 to assist have a read at https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=10201.msg187831#msg187831 for some assistance

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:15:55 PM »
I'm running Piaware and Adsb Exchange on Rasp Pi I,ve just added rbfeeder how do I get  key from pi@piaware:~$ prompt

(1) After installation of rbfeeder, find your key by this command
Code: [Select]
pi@piaware:~ $ sudo rbfeeder --showkey --no-start

(2) Go to this page, and login to your Radarbox account using email.
https://www.radarbox.com/raspberry-pi/claim 

(3) Follow steps on this page to claim your station

Note: The rbfeeder sharing key is stored in file rbfeeder.ini. You can retrive it anytime you want by following command:

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo nano /etc/rbfeeder.ini

The contents of this file are as follows:

[client]
network_mode=true
log_file=/var/log/rbfeeder.log
key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sn=EXTRPI00nnnn

lat=xx.xxxxx
lon=yy.yyyyy
alt=zzz

sat_used=0
sat_visible=0

[network]
mode=beast
external_port=30005
external_host=127.0.0.1

[mlat]
autostart_mlat=true
#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client

[dump978]
#dump978_enabled=true

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:28:17 PM by abcd567 »

SWIFTAL51

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:27:03 PM »
Thanks abcd567 for the reply I've tried pi@piaware:~ $ sudo rbfeeder --showkey --no-start and it comes up "command not found" does that mean rbfeeder hasn't installed properly?

SWIFTAL51

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 11:13:17 PM »
All sorted now thanks updated Piaware to 3.8.1 then reinstalled rbfeeder, running OK

peatrick

• pVegas
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 11:00:18 PM »
Hello @abcd567 i am sorry to trouble you with my difficulties, but cannot seem to get my instance of RadarBox24 up and running.  I have followed the official documentation: https://www.radarbox.com/raspberry-pi/guide

As well as the fantastic "Bake a Pi" post thread: https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=10201.msg187831#msg187831

My little site is running Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 Lite (buster) on a Raspberry Pi 3B (non plus) based upon the PiAware 3.8.1 micro SD card build:
Linux piaware 4.19.97-v7+ #1294 SMP Thu Jan 30 13:15:58 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux but for whatever reason I simply cannot get my rbfeeder service to start and can't seem to make sense of the results.

My rbfeeder.ini
[client]
network_mode=false
log_file=/var/log/rbfeeder.log

[network]
mode=beast
external_port=30005
external_host=127.0.0.1

[mlat]
autostart_mlat=true
#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.5 /usr/bin/mlat-client

[dump978]
#dump978_enabled=true

My log file only shows the following (over and over):
Starting RBFeeder Version 0.3.4 (build 20200423004254)
Using configuration file: /etc/rbfeeder.ini
Network-mode disabled. Using local dongle.

I'm very much a novice with this RTL-SDR Blog v3 dongle, so it could be something as simple as using the wrong port (as i discovered with pfclient), but I'm fairly competent with the RPi, if you have some pro-tips or suggestions.  Currently feeding FlightAware (PiAware SkyAware), ADSBexchange, FlightRadar24 and PlaneFinder.net client.

You appear to be THE man with the answers across each and every of these forums I've poked around in.  Appreciate your time and expertise, sir.  Thank you kindly.

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 12:15:31 AM »
@peatrick
sudo nano rbfeeder.ini 

change
network_mode=false
to
network_mode=true

Restart rbfeeder & check status

peatrick

• pVegas
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 09:35:37 PM »
Done.  Perfect, sir.  Thank you so very much!

Is there an updated MLAT client that works with Raspbian buster?  These commands don't seem to work anymore:
sudo apt-get install mlat-client -y
RB24 shows me as: MLAT inactive however both ADSBexchange and PiAware show me as having MLAT enabled.  Not quite sure the discrepancy, but we're doing significantly better than before.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:46:24 PM by peatrick »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 01:32:52 AM »
Is there an updated MLAT client that works with Raspbian buster?  These commands don't seem to work anymore:
sudo apt-get install mlat-client -y
RB24 shows me as: MLAT inactive however both ADSBexchange and PiAware show me as having MLAT enabled.  Not quite sure the discrepancy, but we're doing significantly better than before.

Yes, mlat-client is no more available in Raspbian and RB24 repositories.

There are 2 methods to install it:

(1) Build it from source code.
https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=101771.msg407051#msg407051

(2) Install the mlat-client packages I have built and uploaded to my Github site.
https://forum.radarbox24.com/index.php?topic=101771.msg433591#msg433591

peatrick

• pVegas
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »
Yer the man!  Your buster pre-built binary package worked beautifully.  Grabbed it with wget, installed as per your instructions, restarted rbfeeder service and voila, now we're cookin: MLAT active (5 stations synced)

Did i happen to just sync with you -- EXTRPI007137 ?

Thanks a million.  After borking my first attempt messing with FR24 on top of the PiAware image i was hesitant to begin adding multiple versions of the same stuff, be it dump1090 or mlat clients, as i obviously have very little clue what i'm doing here.

Any suggestions for a beginner on how to continue expanding the footprint, or usages of this data?  Started with the PiAware 3.8.1 image on an RPi3B (non-plus) and now have the following services:
  • PiAware SkyAware
  • FlightRadar24
  • ADSBexchange
  • PlaneFinder.net client
  • RadarBox

Am i missing anything pertinent?  It's just a wild guess, but I suspect a Pi Zero W might eventually struggle with its single CPU core, but 512MB of RAM seems that it would be more than enough.  Currently only using 124MB/976MB on Raspbian 10 Lite (buster) granted i'm barely tracking double digit aircraft at the moment.  After trying to resolve some of my issues (that you have now expertly repaired) i stumbled upon The ADS-B Receiver Project, but it's been over a year since the last commit and it's still based on Raspbian Stretch, so I decided to stick with the current PiAware base image and build on top of that.  Thanks again for being so very patient with a neophyte trying to learn a little bit about these great little radios.

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 11:11:09 PM »
@peatrick:

You have installed all the important feeders.

One useful tool you are missing: the performance graphs by wiedehopf. You can install it by following command:

sudo bash -c "$(wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090/master/install.sh)" 

For instructions:
https://github.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090/blob/master/README.md

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:12:44 PM by abcd567 »

peatrick

• pVegas
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »
Woot, now we're talking!  Performance graphs is exactly what I was missing from a more complete little device.  I knew I came to the right place, the right expert.  Much obliged, @abcd567 sir.  I know it said there was a known bug (i'm on 4.19.97-v7+) with the Disk I/O & Bandwidth initially, but I applied the resolution and was surprised it almost immediately restored/added the bottom two graphs that first appeared as broken/missing image links.  I was under the impression that the link had me reinstall the exact same collectd version as i was already using:
Unpacking collectd-core (5.8.1-1.3) over (5.8.1-1.3) ...
https://github.com/collectd/collectd/issues/2951