anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Driver Signing (Again!)  (Read 3350 times)

N9JIG

• ANRB, too many radios and an understanding wife!
    • CARMA, the Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association
Driver Signing (Again!)
« on: December 29, 2019, 10:47:14 PM »
I have been running my RadarBox just fine with 6..00 for about 2 years on my PC (Win10 Pro). I shut the computer down for a couple days last week and then started it up again today.

When I run the application the splash screen shows "RB1 found" and then the applications starts. The blue light flashes during power on and power off of the computer and flickers on and off when starting the program. Then, after the application gets going on the bottom left corner of the application screen the hardware icon goes yellow for just a second then reverts to red "Hardware: Not connected" and of course the thing doesn't work.

I updated the software to 6.02.003 and downloaded the current drivers from the AirNav website. Still no joy.

I turned off Driver Enforcement and restarted and it all works well now. The problem I have is that my keyboard and mouse are Bluetooth and will not work during the process of restarting to disable Driver security.

I had the same issue 3 or 4 years back and somehow I was able to get thru having to disable Driver Signing without going thru the nonsense. Whatever solution that was seems to have gone away with the latest Windows update.

Any ideas how I can get this working properly again without having to go out to the garage and get my legacy keyboard and mouse? Is AirNav working on updated drivers that are signed properly?

Runway 31

Re: Driver Signing (Again!)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
The drivers are properly signed by Microsoft and no one else has reported any issues, for example I am on Windows 10 and am having no problems.

Given that most users are on Windows 10 and there has not been an influx of users reporting issues I would suggest the Windows update has possibly done something to your Bluetooth drivers and it may be appropriate to update them as the issue could lay there. 

Additionally you also state that there is no problem with your legacy keyboard and mouse which most people will be using so this also suggests to me the issue may be connected with the Bluetooth drivers.  Normally Microsoft think they know better and replace the specific vendor supplied drivers with their own drivers during an update.

Alan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:31:30 AM by Runway 31 »

N9JIG

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »
The ANRB worked fine last week before the most recent Windows Updates were installed. The exact same thing that happened to me 2 or 3 years ago that was fixed then with some method of disabling Driver Signing.  That it survived restarts seems to have gone away or was disabled with the latest Windows build. That indicates that drivers were an issue then as well. The version of drivers I am using are labeled as 20161222 and were downloaded from the AirNav site this weekend and are the same as have been available for several years.

Now that I have been thinking of this it might have been caused by recent Intel updates. After having the computer off for a few days there were several updates pushed by the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, as there are from time to time. It just so happened that they came around and then I did the Windows Update when they were finished.

If it helps I have Windows 10 Pro v1909, OS Build 18363.535. The hardware is an Intel Hades Canyon NUC with an i7-8705G processor.

I am not saying this is the fault of AirNav, but there is obviously some disconnect between the drivers, the computer and/or Windows 10 that occurred after the latest round of updates.

In the meanwhile I will try and find out the method used to disable Device Signing I used to get it going the last time (and survive restarts) and see if that trick will work again. Using the Shift-Restart method of going into the BIOS GUI is not practical every time I need to restart the computer.

The Bluetooth issue is a Windows/Intel thing and is pretty common. It has been doing this on most hardware I have used as the BIOS does not set up wireless devices, that is handled in the OS. There might be some BIOS setting that loads BT that I have not found however. The fact remains that if the drivers, hardware and Windows played nicely together then it would not be necessary to force the drivers to load in the first place.

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 01:38:13 PM »
It is usually Microsoft that cause the issue as they tend to replace the specific drivers from the vendors with their own ones

Updates sometimes cause problems for the drivers for USB sticks as the Zadig or Airnav drivers are replaced by Microsofts own drivers and it usually requires the vendors drivers to be reinstalled again but that has not happened for a while now.

I am afraid that it will keep happening until Microsoft learn that there is not always what is needed

I looked up the legacy boxes on the station list and while there are not many boxes still running, the ones that were appear to be still online but I don't know how many of them are running W10

Alan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:42:51 PM by Runway 31 »

N9JIG

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 02:15:51 PM »
Well, I don't know what happened, but to check on device signing I restarted again this morning and now it seems to be working. I don't know if the disabling of device signing is retained or if Windows is seeing it properly signed. I have not done any updates or re-installs since yesterday when this came up so maybe it is just kismet.

I will see what happens after the next round of updates.

Thanks!

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »
As long as its working, don't you just lover computers!!

Alan

G6FID

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 08:09:01 AM »
I have noticed the same problem since Christmas with the caption hardware checking!

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
Try reloading the drivers for your box.

Alan

N9JIG

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »
As long as its working, don't you just lover computers!!

Alan

I have a love-hate relationship with computers, that is for sure!

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »
Think we are all the same, Happy New Year to you and yours

Alan

G6FID

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 10:55:14 PM »
I'm afraid I cannot get my Radar Box working yellow box ticketed saying checking hardware. First occurred using Windows 10 on my desk top two weeks later its now not working on my Laptop (Windows 10).
Anyone any ideas. Re-loaded latest drivers to no avail. Blue LED's remain flashing after sign in but no targets on screen!

Runway 31

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 09:42:13 AM »
Was it working on your laptop during the intervening two weeks.  Have you checked your USB cable

Alan