anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: faulty radarbox also is micro usb available in the uk  (Read 14685 times)

2E0BTX

faulty radarbox also is micro usb available in the uk
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »
My box has stopped recieving data i think its probabley the saw filter ive tried the box on differnat sytems with the same problem ... ive gone from 200 plus aricraft to one or two ant peak times .... i dont know if its viable to be repaired .. im looking at the micro radar box usb but i cant find it for sale anywere in the uk .... can you please tell me if there is a outlet in the uk so i can get a box up and running please ,,, i have emailed your support directly
with no reply

thanks
pete

Runway 31

Re: faulty radarbox also is micro usb available in the uk
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:58:58 AM »
Pete,

Waters and Stanton for RB repairs 01702 204965 or 01702 206835

Google Airnav microradarbox also click on ADS-B receivers at the top of the page

Also consider https://www.amazon.co.uk/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-Receiver-RTL2832U/dp/B00VZ1AWQA/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497855284&sr=1-6&keywords=nooelec  works well with V6 of the radarbox software and is a lot cheaper

Alan

2E0BTX

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:28:19 PM »
thankyou i didnt realise you could use 3rd party hardware with the software
pete

Bob SEN

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 06:38:06 PM »
Hi Alan,

These dongle thingy's .......... are they comparable with the original box & are they as easy to setup?

cheers

Bob
1/2 a mile South of EGMC/SEN

MY PHOTO'S http://www.flickr.com/photos/96219572@N07/

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »
Yes Bob every but as good if not better and easy to set up

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
Should take care when purchasing DVB-T Dongle. Should have chip-set:

(1) RTL2832U+R820T (black case)   
ebay.co.uk Average price:
£12 including postage from UK supplier- quicker delivery.
£6 + free shipping from China/HongKong/Malaysia Seller- long delivery time.

OR

(2) RTL2832U+R820T2 (blue case) 
ebay.co.uk Average price:
£16 including postage from UK supplier - quicker delivery.
£6 + free shipping from China/HongKong/Malaysia - long delivery time.

Do NOT purchase one with chip set
RTL2832U+FC0012
RTL2832U+FC0013

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:26:00 PM by abcd567 »

Bob SEN

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »
Many thanks for the advice & info.. 1 last question, the antenna they come with..... does it work or do you need owt else for the unit??

will this one do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-USB-2-0-TV-Tuner-Stick-Receiver-RTL2832U-R820T2-DVB-T-SDR-DAB-FM-Digital-UK-/252848274153?epid=509982618&hash=item3adeee7ae9:g:4PEAAOSw7GRZHtRx

cheers.

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:23:07 PM »
will this one do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-USB-2-0-TV-Tuner-Stick-Receiver-RTL2832U-R820T2-DVB-T-SDR-DAB-FM-Digital-UK-/252848274153?epid=509982618&hash=item3adeee7ae9:g:4PEAAOSw7GRZHtRx

Yes, sure. It is a good one.
Please DO NOT install any software or driver from the CD supplied with the DVB-T dongle.

.. 1 last question, the antenna they come with..... does it work or do you need owt else for the unit??
Yes, the antenna which comes with the dongle works good, but limited range. You can improve it by:
(1) Placing the  antenna over a metallic sheet or food can. The metallic sheet/food can provides a large ground-plane and considerably improves performance. Another advantage is that the whip has a magnetic base which clings to the metallic sheet/food can and holds antenna upright. Please see photos I have posted above. I used lid of a large cookies can, after I ate all the cookies :)

(2) Placing it near a large window or outer wall or attic to get more unobstructed signals from aircrafts.

For best results, any antenna should be mounted outdoor, on mast or roof to get a clear unobstructed view of horizon in most directions. This applies to all types of antennas, wheather  commercial or DIY.

You can also make a DIY antenna, if you like. Please see this thread:

3 EASY DIY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:33:31 PM by abcd567 »

Bob SEN

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 05:58:25 AM »
Many many thanks for your input, have now ordered the part. hope you don't mind another question or two......... what drivers do I need then & after reading your antenna article is there an optimum cable length required (ie multiples of 3mtr lengths or....?)

kind regards

Bob   

Runway 31

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 06:21:11 AM »
Bob,

You will need V6 software.  http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/ANRB/ANRB60002Setup.exe  Delete all previous versions including manually deleting everything left behind after auto uninstalling.  Install to C:\Airnav not programme files. 

As abcd states do not install any drivers that come with the stick as they are intended for TV/radio.  Install Zadig drivers from  http://zadig.akeo.ie/

Regarding the antenna, the antenna you were using for the Radarbox will work very well with the stick, all that you will need will be an adaptor from SMA of the antenna to the MCX of the stick.  I have my stick connected to my DPD antenna at home and while mobile use the Airnav stock antenna with its ground plane.

Due to its more advanced electronics, the stick should work as well if not better than the original box.

Alan

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 06:24:52 AM »
what drivers do I need then

The driver on CD supplied with dongle DO NOT work with DVB-T Dongle
The driver provided by AirNav for microRadarBox DO NOT work with DVB-T Dongle.

For DVB-T dongle, install USB driver "Zadig 2.3" for Win 7 / 8 / 10
Download + installation instructions are here:
http://zadig.akeo.ie/

after reading your antenna article is there an optimum cable length required (ie multiples of 3mtr lengths or....?)

No optimum length or multiple of anything, just random length as required, determined by antenna location and dongle/computer location.

Try to keep coax cable short to minimize signal loss in coax cable. The loss is proportional to length, longer the cable, higher the losses.
Cable length up to 20 ft is OK. More than that, you may need to add an amplifier to cover for cable losses.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:39:17 AM by abcd567 »

abcd567

• CYYZ - Toronto
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 06:52:54 AM »
Regarding the antenna, the antenna you were using for the Radarbox will work very well with the stick, all that you will need will be an adaptor from SMA of the antenna to the MCX of the stick.
The MCX-female terminal of DVB-T dongle is very delicate, and may break in due course due to mechanical stress caused by heavy cable, if cable is connected directly through a solid adapter. Better use a pigtail with SMA-Female at one end and MCX-Male at other end.

Be careful while ordering. Do NOT order RP-SMA, which looks identical to SMA. The only difference is the center pin. SMA-Female does not have a pin, has a hole. The RP-SMA-Female has a pin in the center.

Pigtail is better

Solid adapter is not recommended
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:02:00 AM by abcd567 »

Runway 31

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 08:01:28 AM »
Yes abcd, the pigtail is the type I use.  The solid adaptors are OK to use with a pigtail as well which I also have but I take your point about connecting directly using them.  Amazon are good for these type of thing.

Alan

EK01

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 08:35:53 AM »
And Heinz supply a good baked bean tin for use as a ground plane !

Ian

Runway 31

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
Still got it as standby Ian in case the real one gets nicked again

Alan