AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello to all........  (Read 2042 times)

Shelster

Hello to all........
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
Hi all

1st post on these forums and would like to say a big hello to all out there.

I must say, I was hugely fascinated by this device and before taking the plunge into buying have a few questions that I hope the user community would be able to answer.

Firstly, is there anyone in the Aberdeen area who is using the system and what is the performance like?  My new flat is directly under the approach flightpath for runway 34.

The second, and probably most important issue, is that I will only be able to use the system with the supplied antenna and indoors only.  How will the system preform in these conditions? If you plug AB15 6BW into Google Maps you will see my place, which has a rear window onto the outside world.  There is no prospects of installing a mast antenna as the flat is rented.

Many thanks all

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Hello to all........
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
Hi Shelster and welcome

Yes we do have art least one user in Aberdeen.

As RadarBox can't see through walls, your reception will be of whatever sky you can see through your window, plus odd reflections from opposite walls, and strong signals from close planes.

See this thread for a recent discussion of that: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7093.0

Rod
Rod

Shelster

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the great reply Rod and the link to the other topic, lots of good info in there.

The only aerial we have fitted to tthe flats is a communal FM  / TV aerial.  Not sure what the reception would be like through that for the required freq.

I may buy it off a UK online retailer to try for a week and if all i sgood then keep it, if not, I can return it under the Distant Sales Regulations that we have.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »
Hehe- a TV aerial will be c***!

You do need a dedicated 1090 aerial - the one supplied with the box is very good for indoor use, and I don't know whether a different aerial in the same postion would give better results.

If you do experiment with that, let us know how it goes.

Rod
Rod

DeeJay

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 04:16:19 PM »
Like yourself, I am forbidden to have an outdoor antenna. I use the ''issue'' one,  which is on my windowsill ,and when ''operational'' ,make a small ''tower'' of books with a round biscuit tin on top as an aerial mount. I am three floors up, and live under the glide slope for LHR 27R. My ''live'' coverage is'nt bad, sometimes over 60, though I rely heavily on live network to cover my blind spot, which is mainly to the NE.