anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home Location  (Read 3013 times)

AlanF

Home Location
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
Hi

Still learning how to fully utilise my 3D Radarbox. Had an interesting situation this morning. I was experimenting with the supplied aerial in different positions wthin the house. When I reset the Polar Diagram, my home location was centered south west of Manchester, somewhere around the Peak District. I actually put the code for my local airport, Leeds/Bradford in the home locate section and it went straight back to the previous setting. I then typed Leeds in the location box. It came up with various long/lat locations, one of which seemed to match where I live (north Leeds). When I pressed Ok it went to The Peak District again. I didn't realise that the whole city had moved overnight! Anybody know what the problem is, or, is there any other user in Leeds who has had this problem. It's not as though we live in a little village.
Secondly I managed to get approx 55 aircraft in Myflights, with the supplied aerial placed on the garage flat roof. If I used an outdoor aerial in the same position with the same length of cable, would I pick up more flights?
Thanks
Alan

Runway 31

Re: Home Location
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Alan, are you using decimal co-ordinates for your home location, if not use that.  Google earth is good for that as you can go to your house and set the co-ordinated precisely.

Alan

AlanF

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:23:51 PM »
Thanks I'll give it a try

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »
Did you get your Home problem sorted?

AlanF

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:29:14 PM »
Hi

Did as you suggested, zoomed in on my house in Google Earth and made a note of the figures. I then put them into the long/lat boxes, they are spot on. I actually used my TomTom in the garden as well, the figures were different to Google. Obviously kept the Google ones as my home. I always thought that these co-ordinates are fixed and shouldn't vary, very strange.
Still waiting for a response to my aerial question in the same email.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Alan

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »
Hi Alan,

The antenna which comes with RadarBox is not designed for outdoor use so please do not use it in that position. You are better off with an external antenna which is designed to withstand the elements.

Some of the antennas on the market have a better gain than the antenna supplied so you may see an increase.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
Alan - for your and others' reference, if you stick a placemark (yellow pin) onto your location, the dialogue box that appears shows the lat and long in text boxes, so you can copy and paste them rather than having to write them down.

Hope that helps.

Rod
Rod

AlanF

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »
Hi Rod

Thanks for your advise, I have managed to use Google Earth to "eventually" establish my home location. Your help is very much appreciated.

Alan