anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DPD Antennas  (Read 5020 times)

Seneca Driver

DPD Antennas
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:49:21 AM »
Just installed the DPD ADS-B and the MilTenna antennas today on a mast at 30' above ground - I am thrilled with the quality and performance.  I am now tracking aircraft out to as much as 150 miles with the DPD ADS-B antenna without using a pre-amp .  I am listening to all relevant comms radio traffic on two Icom computer driven scanners (1500 and 2500 models) which makes for a real joy to hear the comms while tracking real-time here in the Seattle area.  I used really good coaxial cable (LMR400) which I believe helps with signal transmission.  The RadarBox was my early Xmas gift and I enjoying it immensely especially now that I have a very good ADS-B antenna.  I've attached a picture of the installation.

VK2GEL

Re: DPD Antennas
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
+1 for DPD ADS-B antenna, better than a yagi.

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:41:42 AM »
Hi Seneca Driver

Plus 2 for the DPD then as I have the same arrangement here in Northern Ireland, including the Miltenna. I am thrilled with the products also and fully agree with your comments. I can think of only one problem, this hobby is now addictive so it'll be "Sleepless in Seattle" from here on in :^).

Enjoy and have a great Christmas and New year.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »
What do I see in the backgound? A cubical Quad for 20M?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Seneca Driver

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »
What you see in the background is the uppermost part of a 6-Band (20 to 6 Meters)  Hex beam designed by G3TXQ which I built myself from scratch.  It has excellent performance and I have contacted many other Hams around the world on it.  Occasionally it also gets put into use for listening to HF ARINC comms  ;-)

73's, NW7D - aka Seneca Driver

VK2GEL

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:47:07 AM »
Gday NW7D, what a beautiful area you live in!

Any chance of some more pics please?

Cheers.

oceans777

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »
Dave of DPD makes the best antennas I've ever used. I had the pleasure of initially introducing him on Radar Box and glad to see happy customers! My own DPD antennas are so effective I get excellent results with no pre-amp at all using LMR-400 coax.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:14:44 PM by oceans777 »

SpeedWagon

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 04:05:03 PM »
Hi;
    I thought I saw some extra network flights the last couple of days in this area, I am in Victoria and have the DPD antenna as well.

Seneca Driver

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 03:14:41 AM »
Hi Speed Wagon,

That was probably me, I have started tracking in the Seattle area for the past few days.  I also see your tracking and sometimes see flights swap back and forth from you to me.   I a down in a small valley so I don't have very good coverage over by the Olympic mountains and areas west of Seattle but fairly good for Paine Field in Everett (where the 787 is being built) as well as Boeing Field and SeaTac in Seattle.  Unfortunately I had to go away on business this week and shut down my RB when I left but will have it back on the net this coming Friday afternoon.