AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What new hardware features would you like to see

Ethernet port & Airband receiver
Ethernet port only
Airband receiver only
Nothing - I like it how it is
Other - Please specify

Author Topic: New RadarBox Hardware options/support  (Read 4817 times)

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
New RadarBox Hardware options/support
« on: September 12, 2009, 05:08:56 AM »
New hardware options seem to be a "hot topic" around here, and to date it appears AirNav believe their users aren't looking for updated hardware.  Apparently this belief comes from some of their sales partners. What do you think?

Sorry - I can't see how to allow the poll to accept multiple answers...

Runway 31

Re: New RadarBox Hardware options/support
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 07:17:53 AM »
Just remember that all these additions will add to the price.  To get them you would also require to purchase a new unit not add it on to the one you already have.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 07:25:09 AM »
I reckon there are cheaper ways of getting the functionality provided by an ethernet port and/or airband receiver than paying over £400(?) for a replacement Radarbox with these features added.

Aerotower

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
I think if we are to forget the others and think only in your navel. I already have a radio, but would like to have integrated only one to receive ACARS and also the ethernet port. If you have to pay more for it, fine. Now those who already have RB can not jeopardize the chances of others to have one with new features.

leomicen

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »
Anybody know if there are plates for receptions vhf pc board of aviation? I can not find them anywhere and would be ideal to accompany the Radarbox.

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »

Leomicen,

Nowadays there are things like this, but not so cheap :
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/receivers/mobile/r2500/default.aspx

Best regards

GlynH

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »
Well as most of you know by now my top priority would be an Ethernet port and contrary to popular belief some fo those hardware options such as UBox, Keyspan USB->Ethernet hardware devices are not all they are cracked up to be.

I know as I have tried them and they are not 100% succesful although Juan may disagree with me!

Hello Juan ;^)

Now I wouldn't have bothered about a built-in air band receiver but just lately I have gotten tired of tying up my expensive WiNRADiO set to 131.725 for ACARS Primiary Europe just to feed into ANAD/ANRB.

Leaving the bugginess of the software aside it irks me that I am unable to use my receiver for anything else while it is tied up receiving ACARS transmissions...seems like a waste to me.

I have even wrestled with the idea of buying a second receiver purely for air band but then it wowuld have to have two tuners - one for ACARS and the other for ATC...it just goes on & on...

Therefore my vote has to be for both Ethernet & air band receiver altough if I could choose only one it would have to be a proper Ethernet port.

If AN ever decided to fit an air band radio it would cause acute embarrassement to their distributor W&S as they have taken a cheap shot at the competition with their 'Why we do not recommend the idea of a radio built-into RadarBox.' outburst;

http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/Radarbox_2009.html

I bet Companies like FlexRadio & WiNRADiO are pleased especially as W&S advertise both makes...

As others in this thread have pointed out it would increase the price of the basic RB so maybe as I have seen another user suggest (Brian?) some sort of expansion backplane where devices such as this (and others) could be plugged in would be a great addition IMHO.

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:02:00 PM by GlynH »

GlynH

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »
I reckon there are cheaper ways of getting the functionality provided by an ethernet port and/or airband receiver than paying over £400(?) for a replacement Radarbox with these features added.

Well there are Chris but most of them seem to be kludges and do not work 100% although I concede your point about paying over £400 for a new RB.

Having said that I guess a quality receiver like the Icom or WiNRADiO would cost in excess of that anyway so my example is not a good one as they would be overkill just for ACARS/ATC so for those users who are happy with looking for a more cost-effective way then fine...go for it.

But I can't help thinking if an upgraded hardware option was offered then for those others who may jump for new RB hardware then surely it would be good to have the choice and AN could be selling more hardware anyway although there may be a flood of RB MKI's on the used market!

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
Nothing thanks - "Jack of all trades...master of none"

Now then, where's my mobile phone? I need to take a picture!

Rich

spanman

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »
What doesn't seem to be discussed here is the cost of having to buy a new box if new hardware changes were intergrated. I love my ANRB and have had it for over 2 years now having moved over from SBS.
One of the things I like about Airnav is the fact that system updates have been software and free and have enhanced our boxes 10 fold from the early days whereas our friendly rival have brought out 2 new boxes in that time.  Does having ethanet  and an airband built in justify finding the inflated price of knocking 500 quid ? In this day and age I dont think so.
Flybe Crew on the Dash 8 Q400  Embraer 175
and Embraer 195

GlynH

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 02:10:50 PM »
What doesn't seem to be discussed here is the cost of having to buy a new box if new hardware changes were intergrated. I love my ANRB and have had it for over 2 years now having moved over from SBS.
One of the things I like about Airnav is the fact that system updates have been software and free and have enhanced our boxes 10 fold from the early days whereas our friendly rival have brought out 2 new boxes in that time.  Does having ethanet  and an airband built in justify finding the inflated price of knocking 500 quid ? In this day and age I dont think so.

But you wouldn't *have* to buy a new box would you?

If you are satisfied with what you have - as I am sure others are also - then stick with it. No problem.

I would probably even keep one of miine...;^)

But for those users who do want more and are prepared to pay the extra then why not offer a MKII for example?

Surely that wouldn't detract from sales nor would it put anyone in a position where they had t pay the increased cost.

The usual way round this is to rebadge the original as 'RadarBox Classic' and release an upgraded version such as 'RadarBox GT' or something :-)

Increased sales for the Manufacturer and choice for the users at no extra cost for those to buy into the system.

If there were some sort of expansion bus included in the hardware (I concede that might increase the hardware cost a little) one box would cover all-comers and if/when the user wanted to upgrade he could pay extra for the add-ons but would be under no pressure to do so from the outset.

Great way to buy into a system and get the customers hooked! :-)

All hypothetical of course and just being debated in this thread but its good to see how and what other users think.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »
My general experience of all things electrical,working in the semiconductor business, is that everyone breaks their balls being the "new kid on the block" - whilst you may not have to buy one,it's likely that 12 months down the line,the basic box would be discontinued like most other techie style products?

Would this detract from software development?

If not fine, but it's easy to say it won't and then.....................

out of curiosity, who started the poll?

Rich