anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Noticeable increase in range?  (Read 2106 times)

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
Noticeable increase in range?
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:46:33 PM »
Evening All

With the sudden much welcomed improvement in the weather, I've noticed a seriously considerable improvement in the range over which my box is picking ADSB flights over.

With no change in ariel positioning, and no change to filters or any set up on the box, I've been regularly picking up flights over the past 48 hours, up to 120 miles away from my location about 5 miles east of EGCC.

Previously for the best part of the last 12 months, such distances were an exception to the norm (ignoring the "naughty" Bluebird B737 that turned up over Tunisia, but is a well known giver of mis-information!EDIT - would you beleve it - 5 minutes after typing this I@ve just picked the blighter up TF-BBH but this time he's in Burkina Faso!!!) with around 60-70 miles being the max.

Also seem to be picking up a substantially higher number of hits in "My flights" - up to around 40-50 consistently as oppossed to a previous norm of 30ish

Is this down to pressure/weather??

Anyone else seen a similar improvement in the North West area??

Happy spotting

Rich
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:07:32 PM by Marpleman »

Jeremy

• Jeremy
Re: Noticeable increase in range?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »
Rich,
It could be down to 'lift conditions' as at this time of year with a high pressure system you will see unusual ducting of UHF signals. It also be a change of moisture content in your coax so watch it closely!
Give it another week for the weather to change and see what happens!
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:43:23 AM »
I do see variations of range with changes in weather, but I've never really thought about it scientifically.  'Lift' can happen at the most unexpected of times - radio propagation is a strange and exciting thing!

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 06:55:34 AM »
Thanks for the feedback chaps - range is continuing good this morning also :-)

Rich