AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft with positions that jump - some diagnostics  (Read 2718 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Aircraft with positions that jump - some diagnostics
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:57:22 PM »
Like others, I occasionally see an aircraft with position jumping by thousands of miles (aka purple rain).  Today, I had an aircraft doing this very close to my home, and was able to observe a couple of things that might help diagnose what's going wrong:

1. The aircraft was close to my home, so the problem is unlikely to be caused by poor signal from the aircraft or interference from other signals.

2. I noticed that when the aircraft timed-out, the purple rain dissapeared, even though the rest of the trail remained on screen.  Even the trail BEFORE the purple rain remained on screen.

BTW, the aircraft was A1F3FD, reg: N225EE, a Gulfstream Aerospace G-V Gulfstream V.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Aircraft with positions that jump - some diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »
I've certainly had a recent Gulfstream close to home distributing purple rain like is was going out of fashion.

Is there something about Gulfstreams?

Rod
Rod

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »
Is there something about Gulfstreams?

That's entirely possible. 

It's reminiscent of a (now fixed) bug in BaseStation which affected Challengers and resulted in spurious positions being displayed - the fix was a firmware upgrade.  Don't ask me to explain why and how the bug was restricted to one aircraft type - I don't know - but we could be seeing a parallel here.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Falcon

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:34:31 AM »
Hello,

I had an aircraft jumping around a couple of days ago and again this morning. I've actually had it occur a number of times and was going to get in touch with support about it, and the purple lines that are displayed right across my screen at certain times. While the solid purple lines that extend right across the screen can be created when an aircraft does this may not be an appropriate reaction by the RB software when it encounters a bad transponder, I did manage to confirm with another person who tracks aircraft using lets say another brand of tracking device to confirm that the same aircraft that I had observed jumping around was also doing the same on his display (no purple lines though). At least I now know one cause for the purple lines in the RB software.

jgrloit

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »
I am not sure if this is the same problem, but I have had an aircraft whose position when decoded is wrong by between 4 and 8 degrees of Latitude
The resulting position is around 50 degrees latitude, which is far outside my viewing area.
The latest occurrance was over night this morning, and is not listed in mylog views, so I suspect that the position was not either the starting or ending one.
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.