anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Route data  (Read 3512 times)

Keith L

Route data
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »
I took my new toy out to Luton today and noticed that no flights displayed route data.  Back home I fired up RB without an Internet connection and, of 35 ADS-B aircraft, 2 were displaying route data (albeit incorrect data).  Connecting back to the Internet the number of aircraft displaying route data steadily increased (20 of 34 at the moment).  I assume therefore that route data comes from an AirNav database on the servers rather than the aircraft ADS-B out transmissions.  Is this correct?  Thanks in anticipation

Keith
7 miles ENE of Luton (EGGW)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Route data
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:29:22 PM »
Yes, that is correct - but as the route database is populated when you are connected to the Internet, then these routes will appear next time you see that flight, even if you are not connected to the Internet.

Keith L

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
Blimey Allocator, that was quick!  Many thanks for clarifying.  I've just been having a poke around in the database explorer and I'll update those I know are wrong.  I assume tinkering with database explorer only updates my local copy and isn't uploaded back to AirNav?

Thanks again

Keith

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:46:36 PM »
Keith,

Just happened to be sitting at the laptop when you posted :-)

Changes you make to the NavData.db3 database using Database Explorer only affect your PC - nothing from your database is uploaded to the AirNav server.

jgrloit

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »
Logically next question is how do we communicate lnown errors to the RB Server?
Based in Hexham - Tyne Valley 
Best view for RB is North of a line between EGNT and EGNC  - includes OTA and Spade, to EGPH above 7500ft.   Can be TRUE mobile with Mobile Broadband feed to Network.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »
They get their aircraft data from the Gatwick Aviation Society - GAS.

You could try telling them: http://www.gatwickaviationsociety.org.uk/.

Don't know where they get the routes data from, though.

EDIT - I meant to say that I don't know where AirNav get their routes data from, but I do now!

Rod
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:52:37 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

Keith L

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »
If route data comes from GAS then I think they are doing an incredible job.  I guess data from the likes of OAG would cost a small fortune.  jgrloit has a point though, there must be a mechanism whereby incorrect data can be updated.  As we are coming up to the switch from winter to summer schedules (UK) this is particuarly apposite.  I spent some time today correcting one single EZY route so this is not an insignificant effort particuarly when you consider that some airlines (EZY) use different callsigns to flight numbers.  I'm not sure how to move forward but would be glad to help....

Keith

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
Route data comes from Flightstats.com, as part of Airnav's deal with them over RB data - see http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1968