anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jim M-75 Preamp  (Read 15815 times)

planes0001

Jim M-75 Preamp
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »
I am trying to increase my reception with my RB, has anyone used the Jim M - 75 Preamp with their RB, if so did it work, how many more aircraft did you recieve. Or has anybody used any other good pre-amp.
Thanks for any help.

radarphil

Re: Jim M-75 Preamp
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
hi there
i would not buy the jim-75 for your radar box i used a jim-75 and found it was poor,the best option is for you to buy a bs1100 and the elad A12-1090+BT12-kit ,it does work  out more expensive but your reception will will be increased dramatically the kit is available from waters +stanton or kinetic avionics if u look on there websites
regards
phil

Terry

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »
Hi there planes0001,
                              I have been running the BS1100 with the Hi-gain whip(not the whip that comes with it) and the elad pre-amp for two years, it was pretty good with the SBS 1,but its brilliant with the RB,as radarphil says its a bit more expensive but well worth it,I may add that sadly my SBS1 is now gathering dust as there is just no comparison,some people may say different but to be honest my view is that even the new sbs model may not match the rb, they are trying to match the looks, but i`m sure never the perfofmance.

Regards Terry.

abrad41

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 03:38:42 PM »
Hi
planes0001

I can only agree with the two posts above, I have a Elad pre-amp inline now and had it with my sbs-1, with great results on both - but far better results with the RB.
I also in my early days had Jim 75 pre-amp and I never thought it made any difference.

Terry - Same here mate, I sold my sbs-1, and I would never want to go back there, as the RB is far far better.

Cheers

Terry

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
Hi Andy,
            I don`t usually get involved with warm discussions on the forums.Just like you do and others give my honest opinion or help if i can,thats what the hobby is all about,I totally agree with you there`s no contest between the two systems,RB takes it to a new level.I see the comments about won`t buy RB etc,because SBS does this and that,well after 2 yrs and lord knows how many downloads,to me RB came along bang on time,its brilliant,enough said thinks me!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 04:44:22 PM by Terry »

radarphil

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »
hi there
totaly agree with you the rb is better than the sbs-1 i have both systems running and the rb is far more better,also you get more help on the forums and if far more friendlier , updates are more forthcoming on the rb the sbs system seems too have ground to a holt with the development side of things .the aerials i use for both of the rb and the sbs are the bs1100 with the attatchments that go with it and the aerial works great on both systems although the rb does have the more profesional edge.

planes0001

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 05:30:47 PM »
Hi there planes0001,
                              I have been running the BS1100 with the Hi-gain whip(not the whip that comes with it) and the elad pre-amp for two years, it was pretty good with the SBS 1,but its brilliant with the RB,as radarphil says its a bit more expensive but well worth it,I may add that sadly my SBS1 is now gathering dust as there is just no comparison,some people may say different but to be honest my view is that even the new sbs model may not match the rb, they are trying to match the looks, but i`m sure never the perfofmance.

Regards Terry.

Thanks for that, do you know, does the hi-gain whip for th sbs 1 screw onto the base for the RB antenna as they both have 6mm threads on the end. Also what adapters are required to use the elad pre amp.
Cheers

radarphil

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »
all the coax and connectors are included to set the elad up when u buy the kit all u will need extra is a bnc to sma connector wich u can get at maplins
i would cable the aerial into the loft or even better the chimney stack the preamp comes with a weather proof cover if u want it outside.dissregard the aerial that comes with the rb its primitive but does the job if ur mobile in a car or on hols.

Terry

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 06:30:39 PM »
Hi there again,
                      As radarphil says all you will need comes with the elad pre-amp,but not the hi-gain whip,thats extra,I know where your coming from with regard to better reception and more aircraft,but please remember as Tarbat says,locatoin,location,is the key at this frequency.If you are high up with little or no obstructions around you then you should have a field day,but trees etc,in the way can reduce the ammount you pick up in that direction.I`m very fortunate as i live 470ft A.S.L, and the only restricted direction is NW.With the antenna and elad running,at this moment i am receiving 355 a/c on my flights.i am only using thin co-axial at the moment but going to put some westflex up shortly so in theory i should get an improvement on my flight numbers.Remember you only get what you pay for,and at this frequency even the slightest loss can be quite drastic in a/c numbers.

Regards Terry.

P.S Networks just gone down again?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:36:26 PM by Terry »

Deadcalm

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »
Go around, I say again go around...

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »
Although the Jim is clearly not recommended for the RadarBox I might just try it as I will be getting one for my scanner:-)

Can anyone guide me to where I can get (in the UK without paying too much p&p) an adaptor, SMA to BNC to plug the RadarBox antenna into the Jim?

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »
Hello mate I think this should do the job.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=32015

Teeside Park and £2.39
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:11:18 PM by besty8 »

nortonbeak

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »
Hello mate I think this should do the job.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=32015

Teeside Park and £2.39

Thanks, but I meant the other gender, i.e. the one with male SMA and female BNC

besty

• County Durham, Land of the Prince Bishops
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 10:35:14 AM »
The other one you can get from Wimo, not sure of postage, thought you'd be on about this one seems harder to get than the 1 from maplin.

http://www.wimo.de/framesetp_e.html

they're very good to deal with,
hope that helps
Stuart

nortonbeak

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
Ahh!

Thats the one.

I'll try them.

Thank you for your help.