AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mode S on the map  (Read 6821 times)

alexc

Mode S on the map
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »
Hi,

I bought my RadarBox last week, and as expected, I'm impressed. Not quite so impressed with the location of my house (in a valley, surrounded by trees, where the nearest airport is used almost exclusively by FlyBe). Still, have laptop, will travel.

It got me thinking though: Having used PCAS systems in the past, which are basically a passive Mode-A/C/S receiver that calculates the relative position of other aircraft, would it not be possible to do a similar thing with RadarBox? I haven't worked it out completely, but I'm thinking that given the position and altitude of the RB receiver, and a couple of ADS-B signals to triangulate from, it should be possible to determine a reasonably accurate position for Mode-S only aircraft. Yep, I was bored!

On another note, I do have a slightly more reasonable feature request: A multi-screen option, allowing the main window to be dedicated to the interface panel and the map to be un-docked and shown full-screen on a second monitor. Of course this is vaguely possible at the moment just by stretching the main window across both monitors and resizing the map to fit, but it's messy.

Anyway, thanks AirNav team for a great product!

Alex

Deadcalm

Re: Mode S on the map
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »
Ah, another window undocking proponent.  Airnav, please take note!

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
Hi,

It got me thinking though: Having used PCAS systems in the past, which are basically a passive Mode-A/C/S receiver that calculates the relative position of other aircraft, would it not be possible to do a similar thing with RadarBox? I haven't worked it out completely, but I'm thinking that given the position and altitude of the RB receiver, and a couple of ADS-B signals to triangulate from, it should be possible to determine a reasonably accurate position for Mode-S only aircraft. Yep, I was bored!

Interesting idea.  There has been a bit of discussion on the "other" vendor's forum about using Mode S multilateration (rather than DF/triangulation) to get position fixes for non-ADS-B aircraft.  Had you thought about that approach ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Bethsalem

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 06:50:35 PM »
Technically possible - but I wonder if this would make the UK and US Gov/Military a bit twitchy about being able to get a fairly accurate fix on their aircraft?  More heavy handed and ill thought out "anti-terrorist" legislation is all anyone needs.

DaveReid

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »
Technically possible - but I wonder if this would make the UK and US Gov/Military a bit twitchy about being able to get a fairly accurate fix on their aircraft?  More heavy handed and ill thought out "anti-terrorist" legislation is all anyone needs.

I don't see why.  Anyone can buy a purpose-designed, off-the-shelf system that will do precisely that:

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/sbs-2MMainFeatures.php
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Bethsalem

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »
I stand corrected.  I was unaware that kinetic avionics had made such a system.  Just out of curiosity, does anyone own or have access to the sbs-2?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 10:43:47 PM »
Definitely not for the "Home" customer, costs for it are well over £10,000.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Bethsalem

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »
There's no chance then that I can convince my nearest and dearest to get me one for Christmas ;o) !

DaveReid

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:00 AM »

AFAIK, £10K wouldn't buy even one SBS-2 - and you need at least 4 receivers for a multilateration system.

Maybe there's a market opportunity there for a cheap RadarBox (or SBS-1) based system ...

alexc

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 08:32:04 PM »
Interesting idea.  There has been a bit of discussion on the "other" vendor's forum about using Mode S multilateration (rather than DF/triangulation) to get position fixes for non-ADS-B aircraft.  Had you thought about that approach ?

Yeah, by 'triangulation' I did in fact mean multilateration. I suppose a phased array antenna and some clever processing would be another option for DF though.