anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Network Data  (Read 3869 times)

c141

Network Data
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »
Hi All,
         Is it possible to save network data purly for referance purpose, ie i like to keep logs
of what i have recieved,

MTIA
c141
Steve

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Network Data
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:29:55 PM »
Sorry there isn't a way to do this. If you want access to the network data you will need to purchase our Professional Products, if you are interested contact our sales team.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Tallyho

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »
C141 I'm surprised no one has pointed you at the PlanePlotter website http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm . You can save third party shared (network) data with the product available from their website called PlanePlotter which enables both SBS-1 and RadarBox local data (plus others) to be shared and logged.
I hope this is not treading on any toes but in my view that this is probably the only fault with Radarbox (or should I say Airnav's policy), which is otherwise a truely exceptional product. That is the fact that they do not allow the network data received to be saved at all and only viewed as a paid option after the first year. Again it is my view that I actually think this would increase their sales (not that they need to at the moment) and the potential of Radarbox to general users. It is after all this same general user base that is supplying the majority of this data to their servers in the first place, but I do acknowledge the fact that AirNav have to manage the storage and sharing of this network data. I also appreciate AirNav have professional products that do enable this network data logging and it is probably purley a commercial decision which have pushed them down this route but AirNav need to recognise that these professional products are priced way out of the reach of the general users who also would like this functionality, so the users are going to look to alternatives like PlanePlotter if AirNav do not or are unwilling to provide this functionality. I therefore plan to use both Radarbox and PlanePlotter to acheive exactly what you are asking for above.
I hope this is an open forum and as such revealing this information is not considered to be forbidden, users of this forum should be pointed at alternative solutions if they exist?
Waiting to be shot down in flames !!!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:19:02 PM by Tallyho »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 01:01:46 PM »
It is an open forum, we don't mind mentioning of other products as long as they mentioned in a nice way without attacking our product.

We made a decision that simply Home users would not want the actual data unless they are reproducing it to be placed in a different format (over the net, google maps etc..) or using for data collection purposes. With that in mind we believe these areas are only for Professional usage. There are other reasons but you will need to speak to us direct if you really want them :)

Though please remember these other networks do not have cost service and hence could be there one day and gone the next. We plan to stay forever :)
[email protected]

Tallyho

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »
Support, thanks for the reply, it will be interesting to see if us Home users agree with your decision in the coming year. You will find out if this was the correct decision when you start to ask for the payment for the network subscriptions from year two onwards (i.e. after the intial years free subscription runs out) and we will have to make a decision on whether to pay for this view only service or go for an alternative with the ability to log all flights. They say the customer is king when it comes to that sort of thing.
I would have thought there may be some room for a middle ground solution whereby Radarbox users can log network data up to a certain range from their Radarbox receiver location. I wouldn't mind paying for that capability maybe even based on sliding scale dependant on the range of flights you wish to log. Maybe that is something for the future :o)
In the meantime keep up the good work.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »
Well we think we have made the correct descion. The cost has not got nothing to do with access to the raw actual data and that factor won't concern 99% of customers who simply just want network flights.

Obviously the customer wants everything for the lowest price. If we we did that we would not be here very long.

Just to put this in perspective we have had no one other than your self email or leave a message on the forum requesting a middle ground. The simple matter is if you want access to raw data you begin to cross from Home user to Pro.

Its funny how when we intially started people wrote nobody would be intrested in the network. However now when the network goes down even for 10 mins we get a flurry of emails, posts saying its down whats going on.
[email protected]