AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do you see the Google Earth view?  (Read 4178 times)

David_Tring

How do you see the Google Earth view?
« on: May 01, 2015, 03:25:36 PM »
Hello - my first post and it's a request for help!  I've bought a RadarBox 3D specifically for its 3D/Google Earth view.  But where is it?  Many e-mails to RadarBox support have produced little other than various replies along lines of "it'll be there" but they never say where it appears...  I can't find any menu options to switch on the 3D view.  There's absolutely nothing about it in the Help files or search option.  How do you see it!

The software's "About" says that it's Airnav RadarBox 2009, software version 2.01.  I'm running it under Windows 7 and it's installed outside of the "Program Files" directory.  I've also downloaded AirNav's special W7 dll file set. 

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks - David

Runway 31

Re: How do you see the Google Earth view?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:04:17 PM »
David,

First of all welcome.

3D requires contact to be made with support to set up 3Dat their end for you and it takes a wee while to be authorised and to come through to you, that's why they state it will be there.

Unfortunately version 2009 is well out of date and is not 3D capable and that is why you are not seeing how to start it up.  Go to the support page and download the latest version V5.00.72 which is 3D capable.  You will get it at http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/ANRB/ANRB50072Setup.exe  it is over 500Mb so may take some time to download depending on your broadband speed.

In the meantime delete all traces of the original version going beyond the auto de-installation and get rid of any folders left behind.  Install the new version to C\Airnav or similar but keep away from Program files as you mention.

Once up and running you will see a button marked 3D View on the second top line to the left of the Airnav Systems logo.  There appears however to be a problem with 3D and the Google Earth plug-In at this time and I have contacted support regarding this earlier.

Alan

David_Tring

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply and the information Alan.  It's strange - I installed the original software from the CD that came in the box (purchased new from the UK distributor) and then updated on-line as normal, so I don't understand why it isn't the 3D version.  But no matter - I'll delete everything on my PC and try again to get the latest version number that you mention.

I see from earlier posts that there's some issue with a Google Earth and/or 3D plug-in that's being worked on?

Last question - do I need to have Google Earth running as an open application before starting the 3D RadarBox software, or does it pick it up automatically?

Many thanks -David

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »
David,

No need to have Google Earth running

Since version 4.03 3D capability is built in to the software but 3D only works if you upgrade to it.

Alan

David_Tring

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »
Brilliant Alan, I've updated the software and it now works fine.  Full 3D map displayed, plus the "pilot's view" that was the only reason I bought the RadarBox in the first place.  Thank you very much for your help - shame AirNav's support couldn't do this......

Can I ask you a couple of (off topic) questions about the standard 2D map presentation?

Compared to the SBS-1ER/Basestation I've been using for the past few years the RadarBox mapping is very crude and apparently difficult to fine-tune.  Firstly, in Basestation every display element (airfields, NDBs, VORs etc.) can be individually switched on or off - how do I do this in the RadarBox?  I live near Luton and the RadarBox 2D map bizarrely includes Hatfield and Leavesden, both of which closed 20 years ago!  There doesn’t seem to be a file of airfields that can be individually edited, unless it’s one of those anonymous .dat files.  Ditto all the ”Fix” points – there are millions of them and I only want to see the relevant local ones – where are they listed so that I can delete/switch off the unwanted ones?

Regards - David

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:11:14 AM »
Dave,

Glad to help, unfortunately unless you tell Airnav which version you are using they wouldn't know.

The airports are wired into the software probably in a dat file so once they are in they stay until the software gets re written and like the fixes, waypoint etc they are either on or off you cant turn them off or on individually.

Regarding airfields I don't know if you are aware of Rods Radarbox page which contains airfield outlines, logos silhouettes etc http://www.rodbearden.com/RadarBox/Downloads.htm

Alan

David_Tring

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »
Thank you Alan - I did tell the support people all the version numbers from day 1 but they obviously ignored them.

Thanks for the confirmation re the individual elements, I had guessed that that might be the case unfortunately.

And yes I have seen Rod Bearden's pages.  Most of the airfield outlines are non-UK, so no use to me personally - I have the SBS-1 equivalnets already and these copy across and work fine.  The only issue of course is that any airfield who's name isn't already showing on the RadarBox map (like my local field at Elstree) will display the outline but there's no way to attach a name to it :<(

Best regards - David

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:35:37 PM »
David,

You should be able to do that using File/Preferences/Legend and Labels/Custom Legends List

Alan