AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Broken Antenna  (Read 2473 times)

deaphen

Broken Antenna
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:14:19 PM »
Hi All:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this one. I was just travelling from Mumbai to my home town and I had my ANRB in my check in luggage, unfortunately, while travelling the base of my antenna (the part with the magnet) must have got squished and now the screw on part onto which the antenna screws on has gone into the small conical base.

As a result, I cannot screw on the actual antenna onto the magnetic base. I have tried gently pulling it out with various methods, but it is deeply lodged and does not budge, its not broken, just gone into the conical magnetic base.

What can i do? Its very frustrating, I dont want to shell out a few 100 dollars to get a new one, plus my box is only 4 months old! sucks

thanks
Nitin

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Broken Antenna
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »

Smudger98

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »
Perhaps some kindly person has a spare one they could donate ?

hans

• netherlands weather
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
you can remove the bottomplate with a small knife.

done that to resolder the cable once.

so you can push back the part
(25km) from Schiphol Amsterdam(EHAM)
http://home.xmsnet.nl/hanmir/radarbox.htm

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »
Hi Nitin, I agree with Hans' comment at reply #3, I would add, cut back and solder both central core and screen, check both for continuity/resistance with meter, if you're 100% happy that both are good and no shorts, fill the void with epoxy putty (eg JB Weld - if you can't get it locally, mail order or I'll get you a pack and post it on at cost) and press magnet back into the plastic base.   Press base onto a little piece of polythene, with a flat steel surface under it, you should find some epoxy will squeeze out.   Once it's completely gone off, remove from poly and break off the epoxy that's squeezed out.   If not completely flat, you can lightly sand on fine wet and dry paper.   Then re-apply the sticky back plastic, or a new bit if you're feeling flush!    Apply some electricians' silicone grease, or at least some Vaseline or vehicle grease to threaded part of antenna and you should have a permanently weather-proofed antenna, although the steel whip will rust quickly unless thoroughly painted.   AN and W&S, any chance of supplying replacement whips without bases, preferably in stainless steel.   I'd buy a couple!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!