anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iraq Moniotring Question  (Read 2941 times)

Sky2

Iraq Moniotring Question
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
I would appreciate anyones technical support to a question.  We have some ownership and interest in an aviation and security and have an interest to track some scheduled and charter flights landing in Iraq from our base in the UK.  Can you please confirm that if we purchase from you the new AirNav Systems Radar Box Pro and install it at our office in the UK we will be able to real-time track the landing and movements of both airliners and corporate charter aircraft arriving at the following airports in Iraq:  Baghdad (BGW), Erbil (EBL), Sulimaniyah (ISU), Mosul (OSM)?  Do we need to do anything physically locally box wise at the Iraq sites or will we see everything from the UK? Thanks.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Iraq Moniotring Question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »
I would appreciate anyones technical support to a question.  We have some ownership and interest in an aviation and security and have an interest to track some scheduled and charter flights landing in Iraq from our base in the UK.  Can you please confirm that if we purchase from you the new AirNav Systems Radar Box Pro and install it at our office in the UK we will be able to real-time track the landing and movements of both airliners and corporate charter aircraft arriving at the following airports in Iraq:  Baghdad (BGW), Erbil (EBL), Sulimaniyah (ISU), Mosul (OSM)?  Do we need to do anything physically locally box wise at the Iraq sites or will we see everything from the UK? Thanks.

RadarBox and other Mode S receivers can only pick up transmissions from aircraft within a maximum range of around 200nm, with the range being considerably reduced for aircraft at lower altitudes.

The ability to see aircraft landing at airports in Iraq would be dependent on:

a)  there being one or more RadarBox users within range of the aircraft concerned

and

b)  said RadarBox users choosing to upload traffic to the AirNav network, bearing in mind that to do so is illegal in some countries

and

c)  the aircraft concerned being ADS-B-equipped (i.e. they broadcast their locations)

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but that's how it works.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:36:14 PM »
In adddition to what Dave says above, I get upto 270nm range, but that's with RB standard antenna at approx. 70m above sea level, looking out west in the clear over the Atlantic, but only about 60nm to the east due to obstructions.   It's basically line of sight, so height of antenna is an important factor.   Antenna down leads need to be kept as short as possible, or you need a pre-amp to overcome losses, but they create their own noise, and some slight input loss.   I'm now using a 12m Active USB Extension from Lindy.com which I find works superbly.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

GlynH

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:01:50 AM »
I don't use the network but a friend of mine does and I am sure he has seen aircraft in Iraq but to what level I cannot comment.

It seems to me that maybe AirNav might like to give some thought on 'sponsoring' a RadarBox in some of these 'interesting' places around the world to fill in the gaps in return for an always on agreement to feed to the network?

Maybe a tie-up with their dealers/distributors to run 24/7 feeding data to the network would also help if not already implemented?

There is also an interesting thread running for unusual network locations that might reveal something in the future;

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2729.0

A Google search (because the search here is useless) reveals a few hits for Iraq;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&as_q=Iraq&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=airnavsystems.com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=off

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:27:38 AM »
We do have a box in Kuwait which shows lots of over flights across Iraq.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]