AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this a record?  (Read 4481 times)

sasa1000

Is this a record?
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »
I know the supplied antenna is good but I have it sitting on downstairs window cill just now and I am getting a Bluebird Cargo B-737-4YO, Registration TF-BBH flying over France flying BIKF-EDDK at a distance of 910 NM. This must be a glitch, would welcome any explanations or a serious offer for my truly amazing antenna!!  LOL

Sandy

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Is this a record?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »
I know the supplied antenna is good but I have it sitting on downstairs window cill just now and I am getting a Bluebird Cargo B-737-4YO, Registration TF-BBH flying over France flying BIKF-EDDK at a distance of 910 NM. This must be a glitch, would welcome any explanations or a serious offer for my truly amazing antenna!!  LOL

That particular aircraft is known to send spurious coordinates.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

sasa1000

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:07:08 PM »
Nice one Dave, I never thought for a minute I was getting that range. Good to know it is the aircraft and not my box. Incidentally, how do you get to know if an aircraft sends erratic information?

Sandy

DaveReid

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
Incidentally, how do you get to know if an aircraft sends erratic information?

Experience :-)

Oh, and having a database of over 8 million flights logged over the last 4 years helps, too !
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
Incidentally, how do you get to know if an aircraft sends erratic information?

Been mentioned before on this forum.  Always worth trying a search of the hex code (4CC0DC) on the forum - see http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3093.msg28793#msg28793

Team Spirit

• AF1981 A380-800 passing T5 enroute CDG.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:11:24 PM »
Hi Dave,

Just a quick question please. How do you manage your logs in general? Do you add them all together and if so which program do you use.

I'd like to merge mine into a seperate data base if poss so any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers Dave.
Best regards Dave.

DaveReid

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »
Just a quick question please. How do you manage your logs in general? Do you add them all together and if so which program do you use.

I'd like to merge mine into a seperate data base if poss so any ideas gratefully received.

You're probably going to regret asking this :-)

From the time that I acquired one of the very early SBS-1's, almost 5 years ago now, I have been running an external database that captures everything it picks up.  Initially it used Kinetic's log (BST) files for capturing data, but since 2006 when they introduced the socket output it has used that as the source.

I don't use the supplied SQLite BaseStation.sqb database at all, instead taking the raw ICAO data from the box and running it through my own aircraft ID database (the one we're not supposed to talk about!) in order to populate my flight history database.

As well as being used to produce logs and analyses, the system also drives my public LHR ADS-B movements website and various commercial applications used by industry clients.  The database engine is Oracle, although some tables use SQL Server, having long since passed the stage where solutions like Access run out of steam.

I'm not suggesting that this is the ideal architecture for everyone's needs, but it works well, is extremely scaleable and looks destined to last a long time.

sasa1000

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Thanks tarbat for the link and the advice on the hex code. It's getting snippets of advice like this that makes it even more interesting.

Sandy