anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Accurate is the Info  (Read 2877 times)

dapman

How Accurate is the Info
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:57:04 AM »
Hi
     I was just watching an aircraft making a landing at my local airport EGMC .I live about a mile away,my antenna is 30ft up and as a result i can see the plane moving on the ground.But the last report from the airplane showed it at 450ft and 90knts can anyone explain.I would have expected 0ft and 10knts.Whilst i am posting i used satellite cable to my antenna which is good to 2ghz and easy to route compared to westflex.The fact it is 72 ohm did not cause a problem,the polar diagram goes out to 150 miles.

Cheers Dave.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: How Accurate is the Info
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:21:04 AM »
I was just watching an aircraft making a landing at my local airport EGMC .I live about a mile away,my antenna is 30ft up and as a result i can see the plane moving on the ground.But the last report from the airplane showed it at 450ft and 90knts can anyone explain.I would have expected 0ft and 10knts.Whilst i am posting i used satellite cable to my antenna which is good to 2ghz and easy to route compared to westflex.The fact it is 72 ohm did not cause a problem,the polar diagram goes out to 150 miles.

What's the elevation of the airport in question ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
Have you set the correct QNH for EGMC?  Currently 995.  Make sure you use the "Auto Set QNH" facility in SmartView.

g0seg

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
Hi Dapman, using 40 odd feet of satellite cable to a copper curlywhirly. We are at around 150 feet here in Yorkshire and using 75 Ohm coax doesn`t appear to make much difference apart from a possibly slightly deformed polar. The attached pic is for 14 days worth of intercept so no problems. As for Southend, used to cycle there from Kings Cross area of London - had a girlfriend at Westcliffe is it? Mind you, it was nearly 60 years ago!!! Bi now and good luck, Roger

dapman

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
Hi
       Tarbat    Thanks for the info,i will see if it makes a difference.

Cheers Dave.