anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Australian made outdoor antenna  (Read 7774 times)

fil

Australian made outdoor antenna
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:25:48 AM »
Hi,

I would like to share my success with an Australian made 1090Mhz antenna.

While they not cheap, they are readily available and designed for Australian conditions. Mine arrived 2weeks from order, shipped to my door, safely packaged in a heavy walled cardboard tube.

The antenna is from ZCG-Scalar, model number G59, factory tuned to 1090Mhz. http://www.zcg.com.au/Catalogue/01-G56_G59.pdf At 1090, the total height is 205cm.

I used 10M CNT-400 cable fitted with n-type connectors from antenna @ 8M AGL to inside my shack. For the radarbox end I made up a short RG-58 pigtail with n-type female and SMA ends.

The difference when compareing the standard antenna vs the G59 on an 8M mast is amazing. My polar plot went from a maple leaf to more of a smooth doughnut, with 100's more messages per flight. Overall range increased in all directions.

Once my deaf radarbox (Another story....happened when using the factory whip outside on a dry windy day, suspect the unprotected frontend filter has been damaged by static electricity) is repaired, i'm confident of +200NM from my house in Tamworth NSW.

Results:-
With the deaf radarbox and standard antenna @ 3M AGL I got 30NM.
Deaf radarbox, 10M CNT-400, standard antenna @ 8M AGL I got 45NM.
Deaf radarbox, 10M CNT-400, ZCG G59 @ 8M AGL i'm getting 85NM with consistant pattern.

I dealt with Alan at the ZCG Qld branch office in Capalaba and was more than happy with the service, feedback and support that he provided.

Cheers...ƒil

VK2GEL

Re: Australian made outdoor antenna
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:59:42 AM »
How much please?

Dean

• Plane photographer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Web site shows them working from 520 to 960 MHz - do they do one for 1090?

fil

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »
The G59 retails for around $700, factory tuned and shipped (I don't know exactly, I bought it on our account). Give Alan at Capalaba office a buzz, he was very helpful.

The website does mention that the available range is 520-960MHz, however they are able to factory tune the G59 (or the smaller G56) out to 1090Mhz.

Cheers...ƒil

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »
Hi Fil,

Could You please post a screenshot of plolar diagram including Mode S Signal Maximum Range rings for us to see the antenna results ?

Thanks in advance : Juan

VK2GEL

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:27:57 PM »
I have one of these, 9dB, USD130++

http://dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html