anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ANRB Database redux  (Read 4511 times)

theoNeth

ANRB Database redux
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:13:34 PM »
Most of the a/c that I am interested in are not covered in the AN database, or if they are, there are errors such as photos of a Polish Air Force jet trainer showing for a US C-130.

I am correcting these by supplying proper photos (sometimes my own). However many have the wrong ID - a/c type - Country - owner... or nothing at all. After searching here and following instructions found and in a AN .pdf, I thought I had the solution to correcting the Database.

Yesterday morning a familiar hit came up as showing -only- the S-Code. I know this a/c as it flys overhead daily and I can read the tail numbers easily. So I went to "MyLog" clicked on the S-Code in question, then "Edit Cell" then I proceeded to fill in "Registration...A/C Type...A/C Name... etc...". And then closed out. I placed 2 correct photos in the directory where all other photos are.

While I was doing that the a/c landed. About an hour later the a/c took off and the S-Code popped up again with NO OTHER INFORMATION.

I went to "MyLog" clicked on the S-Code in question, and everything I had entered was gone.

Then I went to FILE -> DATABASE EXPLORER found the S-Code and noted that all other fields were BLANK.  I highlighted the S-Code, clicked on "Edit Cell" and proceeded to enter all the information again, this time adding all to all the fields including links to proper photos, including my name as PT1 (if I am going to provide all this information, I am going to be PT1) and my ladyfriend as PT2 (no explanation needed).

I closed out and EXITed AN and restarted. Shortly the a/c in question came back to base and was within range and was tracked.

S-Code only...

I looked in "MY LOG", S-Code only....  I looked in “DATABASE EXPLORER”,  S-Code only...

I am using v. ANRB20, firmware v. 1.01.2. Was not connected to the network and so was not receiving any feeds.

It is a lot of work to type in all that information and lose it all.

Anyone know the secret word? (Please do not suggest v.3b as I don't want to add/trade other problems into the mix. When v.3 becomes stable and fixed, I will get it but for now, this seems to be a database problem that should not be.)

As I said, I have read all I can find here on working with the db (I don't want to go the SQL route as my needs are for a small number of a/c (<200) not thousands flying worldwide).

You people are smart and have this down pat, I am sure.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm listening.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: ANRB Database redux
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »
When you update a record in database explorer, make sure that you click on another aircraft after editing the aircraft to make sure the changes are committed.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
I do recommend that you do use the Beta V3.06 software.

I regularly update the database manually using Database Explorer so I know that it works, but as tarbat says, you need to make sure that you have 'closed' the record before closing Database Explorer.

theoNeth

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:01:42 PM »
Well that did work. After a fashion.

I updated/corrected/added 8 (EIGHT) records.  It took over 45 minutes. Each cell, when clicked on, took up to a full minute before it received FOCUS and would accept input. (Typically reported by users.) With 10 cells per record and with undefined limits on cell contents (you only find out what you can include in a cell after you close out and look at the GRIDS in MY LOG and see that you entry was amputated.)
Additional time was taken by clicking on another record as you stated.

8 records in ~48 minutes is 6 minutes/ cell. 250 records (conservative estimate) times 6/cell = 1500 minutes or 25 hours (not allowing for food or drink).

It is a shame that after all these years there are no modern user-friendly editors to add/modify a users personal experience in AN's proprietary database.

But it does work.  Thanks for showing me a path. Long, steep and twisted tho it may be. [I perceive my quest to update/include a/c of my interest to be much akin to that of a certain Frodo Baggins. And we all know what happened to him…]

And *ALLOCATOR*, I covered your suggestion.  See my original post.

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:32 PM »
8 records in 45 minutes - you have a major problem there.

I'mm correcting records on the fly by right clicking on them in the aircraft list and selecting 'Locate Mode S' and changing the details - no delay at all.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »
theoNeth - I can edit the database as fast as I can type!

Are you sure there's nothing wrong with your computer (or is it overloaded with other stuff?)

Rod
Rod

theoNeth

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
You guys are -very- fortunate.

Just ANRB running.

bearcat

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 03:37:57 PM »
Try and put an exception into your Anti Virus. Worth a try. AVG was known to have an affect on ANRB

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »
You guys are -very- fortunate.

Just ANRB running.

No, we're not very fortunate, you are very unlucky!

As bearcat says, this could be an anti-virus problem where every single RB file is being virus checked as it is accessed.

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 11:32:29 PM »
Try and put an exception into your Anti Virus. Worth a try. AVG was known to have an affect on ANRB

ANRB is designed to run on a Windows computer connected to the internet which therefore requires anti-virus software.

So why is anti-virus software blamed for these problems of slowdown and freezing?

I've now got 1139 objects plotted on another program that I started to run after starting to type this.  None of it's files are excluded in my Avira configuration.

Like ANRB, this program receives local packet transmissions by radio and world wide packets relayed by an internet connection, but in realtime.

It's APRSPoint, but Ui-View has been used for many years, going back to the days when Windows computers were unable to keep up with the quantity of packets received (486 processors).

Now received only 1714 as I've limited the internet objects to be within a 500 mile radius.

Reg.

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:43:27 AM »
Whenever I install a new software package, I usually get a response from my anti-virus and firewall software - it's the was it works - that is 'fail safe' and I have to 'accept', 'approve' or 'allow' the programme to run or to have access to the Internet.

The problem usually occurs if you miss this warning and the virus/firewall doesn't bother to ask again.  It's the devils own work to then figure out what is going on!

Many anti-virus programmes - like AVG - check all files before they are run which in theory is a good idea.  However, have you taken a look at how many flags, logos and photos are in the RB installation - one heck of a lot.  If I let my anti-virus software check all of these all of the time, then RB is going to run slowly.  No way around this really with software anti-virus and firewall software trying to save us from ourselves :-)