AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spotting scopes  (Read 8855 times)

eggplant

Spotting scopes
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »
Hi,

I got a cheap scope from eBay , a Luyi 20-120x75 scope the other week. Managed to get it for about £40.  I bought it as a tester as I have never used one before. I have a window next to my PC where, on a clear day,  I can see aircraft up to 40 nm away to the west. I'm based in High Wycombe and can see aircraft from the Bovingdon stack en route to approach for LHR when landing from the west. The scope is okay, but when using more than about 40 x mag clarity is poor. Can anyone suggest a scope which is a good compromise between price and quality ? Most of the aircraft I am interested in spotting are within about 15 nm of my location, i.e. the ones on approach to LHR.  I have seen a camlink scope, 15-45 x which looks reasonably priced. Does anyone know if it is any good - or have any other suggestions/advice ? Also any advice on how to convince my wife it is a worthwhile investment would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,

John
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

EMA

Re: Spotting scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 06:24:11 AM »
It is all about quality optics and they do not come cheap, for low price and reasonable quality check out the Opticron range of spotting scopes.

Spaice

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:37:46 AM »
Really is a case of you get what you pay for, I recently got the Swarovski ATS 80 HD and the quality is fantastic, although difficult to justify if you rarely use it.  I also have the Opticron GR66 GA ED this is also very good but the larger opbjective lens on my new scope makes a big difference.

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:17:57 AM »
I use the Opticron HR66.  Not cheap but well worth the money.  After having several cheaper scopes this just knocks the socks off them.  So much so that when I needed new mini bins I went to them without considering anyone else.  Based in the UK, can order direct from them if easier.  I called them to discuss my requirements and they were very helpful.

HTH

Graham

eggplant

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:34:56 PM »
Thanks for your advice chaps. Some of the prices I have seen for quality scopes are rather scary. I'll have to watch the Derren Brown programme on telly tonight about how to win the lottery !!

John
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
Hi John, I've also got an eBay £50 Luyi 25-115x, and I have to say I'm quite impressed with, but what has made a huge difference, is using a heavy Camlink tripod (also an eBay bargain!).   With a really solid base to work on the scope is excellent.   I've my best views ever of the moon and Jupiter this last few nights.

Get a good quality, heavy tripod, then start saving for an RR scope, get the good one and switch it, your wife will probably not even notice the change - devious, but effective - I know!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!